2 weeks ago
November 3, 2017Decent month for music, a lot of HONK!fest and tunes from "Baby Driver"... 4 and 5 star stuff in red, listed in descending order of "you gotta hear this"
- Chase Me (feat. Run The Jewels & Big Boi) (Danger Mouse) One of 5 songs I got from "Baby Driver" - the video they made is kind of a "best of" of the movie, actually, with a lot of car-fu
- Tubas In the Moonlight (The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band) Slightly marred with a gratuitous racist word in the prelude (Dave Gannett's cover deftly removes it, so if I start performing this song I could just use that version) -
- Los Ageless (St. Vincent) "How can anybody have you / How can anybody have you and lose you / How can anybody have you and lose you and not lose their minds too"
- Blues For Ben (Pink Puffers) - this link isn't the version I grabbed and put at five stars, but overall I feel like this how I'd love some of my baselines-parlayed-into-HONK songs to sound.
- Know How (Young MC) Baby Driver again - oldish school hip hop I missed- really great flow and samples. Is Young MC Old MC by now?
- Easy (Sky Ferreira) Another from "Baby Driver", sensual cover, love the line "easy like Sunday Morning"
- Ain't No Grave (Dead Music Capital Band) I heard these Zombie players at a HONK!festival after party do this Johnny Cash cover, big and brassy. Also I love the off-center spider web tuba design.
- The Hearse Song (Harley Poe) Didn't quite get around to making up a version of "The Worms Crawl In" for JP Honk Halloween, but maybe next year?
- Hearse (Ani DiFranco) Found this looking for "The Hearse Song". Classically Ani.
- Cast Your Fate to the Wind (Vince Guaraldi Trio) - You can hear "Linus and Lucy"'s roots in this. Love the title.
- Watermelon Man (Mongo Santamaria) - JP Honk plays this song - this version is a B-side of "Cast Your Fate"
- The Gambler (Kenny Rogers) Would love to make a Honk arrangement of this old chestnut
- Holy Calamity (Handsome Boy Modeling School) - More "Baby Driver" mostly I just adore the "HOLY CALAMITY SCREAM INSANITY ALL YOU EVER'S GONNA BE ANOTHER GREAT FAN OF ME" opening
- Smokey Joe's La La (Googie Rene) Final "Baby Driver" bit, it swings.
- A Secret Course - Super Mario Sunshine (Koji Kondo) A Cappella cover I remember from the GameCube game.
- Come from the Heart (Guy Clark) To quote Dogbert, "Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching".
- Put Your Right Foot Forward (The Original Pinettes Brass Band) More Honk-ish goodness
- One for My Baby (And One More for the Road) (Frank Sinatra) I do have a soft spot for Sinatra's melancholy stuff.
- I Won't Back Down (Live) (Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers) RIP
- Blending Soul (Soul Blenders) I do have a thing for Blenders. Nice R+B.
On FB my friend Josh wrote "I brought in a big bag of assorted minis to work last week. This remainder says something..."
My response was "I can't believe they got rid of the other 2 flavors but kept the name. THIS IS MORE LIKE ONE MUSKETEER PEOPLE".
His friend Frederick wrote "'Flavors'?!? 3 Musketeers? Talk sense, man!"
My response was this Wikipedia citation and "READ IT AND WEEP - YES WEEP FOR YOUR LOST HISTORY, THAT ONE TIME DREAM OF NEAPOLITAN ICE CREAM IN DELICIOUS CANDY BAR FORM, ANOTHER CASUALTY OF THAT BRUTAL HELL-GOD "WAR", DESPAIR AND PONDER ON THOSE SADDEST OF WORDS 'WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN'..."
Originally, it had three pieces in one package, flavored chocolate, strawberry and vanilla; hence the name, which was derived from the novel The Three Musketeers. Rising costs and wartime restrictions on sugar saw the phasing out of the vanilla and strawberry pieces to leave only the more popular chocolate.--wikipedia.org/wiki/3_Musketeers_(chocolate_bar) The iPhone X Takes Hand Gestures Too Far
I've never been a fan of gesture interfaces, and life with an iPhone X requires a whole new slew of them. (Conversely, I've always been a big fan of the home button; an easy to access "lets take it from the top" escape hatch can be enormously centering, like how when I click on a website's name in their header on any page I go to the site homepage.)
That's one of problems with the designer's dream of being such world-beater designers they they can stop having to actually, you know, design- having achieved the zen of "a piece of featureless glass"... the phone then just consists of an OS and apps - but having to designate certain finger moves as "ok, now you're communicating with the OS" makes a less known reliable channel, and one prone to accidental invocations, and takes away from the language of gestures that apps are allowed to use.
"America lacks that common sense. It has extraordinary sense instead, which is why, even now, even in the middle of its great darkness, artists and entrepreneurs still love America, still need it, still want to move there. America is the place where you can come up with your own meaning."
--Stephen Marche in the New Yorker on Why is the U.S. So Susceptible to Social-Media Distortion. But, you're entitled to your own opinion. You are not entitled to your own facts. This is why Scott Adam's "Where Facts Don't Matter" stance is absolute anathema to me, one of the most immoral ways someone can be. "give me a lawyer, dawg" might be ambiguously parsed as a request for a "lawyer dog" is straight up racist unconstitutional legal-rights-breaking HORSE SHIT.
(Jefferson Hughes was the one vote against. So hooray it was a white dude and not the one person of color? (also the only woman on the panel) )
Man. Laughable if not so infuriating. "Uh gee we couldn't get this guy a lawyer, because we thought maybe he was asking for lawyer dog" COME THE F*** ON.
Wonder if Vampire's would have a problem using iPhone X FaceID.
For that matter, do they have fingerprints? Or skin that conducts on smartphones in general??