chicago photos - night
Checked out all the Chicago pics. You really have a great knack for taking some really amazing pictures. Looks like it was a good time.
--Beau Sun Jul 3 20:43:42 2005
Kirk, I want to hear more about "Game On!" as we'll be getting it in Seattle this Spring.
--LAN3 Mon Jul 4 00:51:20 2005
"Game On!" was only ok. It might have been better if it had been an off-season weekday.

The main appeal is by far the games. It mostly consists of like 10 chambers with nuthin' but games from all eras. I think there is some purposeful grouping going on, but overall it seems a little random. Arcade games, consoles, and handhelds all get attention. And like any exhibit w/ lots of kids it has its share of busted things.

It had a few "behind the scenes" looks at stuff like Golden Tee golf, some production work for the laserdisc carton games Dragons Lair and Space Ace, a listening station with some sets of game music (shown in the photos I took I think), a few generic attempts at non-game but interactive exhibits. Admittedly it was a little crowded when I went and my co-viewer wasn't that into games in general (her favorite seemed to be the chunky glory of Cookie Monster Munch on the 2600) and so I might not have been paying as close attention, but overall I didn't pick up a big theme or message, it was just a big hunk o' games.
--Kirk Mon Jul 4 07:36:30 2005
Beau, thanks.
I guess having an "eye" for it helps, but you just keep a few simple rules in mind, try to think about what will be interesting later (people are usually more interesting than things), try to avoid the "here's the two of us standing way in front of someting famous" cliche...not that I don't have plenty of my own cliches I use.
--Kirk Mon Jul 4 08:28:25 2005
Oh, and Beau-- the other trick is to always have a small camera handy.

If I remember rightly you have a small camera...in fact, it's the one that made me notice that the little convex reflective surface on the front of camera isn't just a decorative button, it lets you judge the angle when taking a self-portrait...
--Kirk Mon Jul 4 14:29:55 2005
there are only 2 ways to do this, they are either fomuas or have connections, for example with me my sister is a professional gamer and my aunt designed the game medal of honor so therefore i get a lot of video games free i can promise you that no company will just hand you a few new games for reviewing on a blog. in that case nothing would ever be new any joe could just ask for a game saying that he is a critic even though he is not. work your way up get people to notice you! start by reviewing games as they come out that's when people want to know about them not before hand! so Dr. house is right. No, for an ordinary person, i can guarantee you will find somebody with connections. in theory you know everyone in this world through six degrees of separation or less do some research on that.
--Itim Tue Apr 24 21:55:28 2012