I'm heading to Euclid, Ohio (suburb of Cleveland) for my 10 year high school reunion...wish me luck! Instead of the usual random prose or poetry, I'll continue the plowing through of my backlog. Tosday's set neatly finishes up my backlog for 2001! Yay!
November 29, 2002
A random note as I pack: the paradoxes of scouring ones books for the one or two you've been meaning to get back to: if the book was that great you probably woulda read it by now. And seeing a book and not remembering if you've read it or not is a very risky situation, it might be you have and it just isn't memorable.
"Which for finalkeeps in track: After Headhunter and Shenmue II the Dreamcast with Virtua tennis shows 2 its sharp play claws again. The official Virtua tennis successor convinces with still suppler animations, new impacts and a motivating season mode. Why we present Segas Filzball Spektakel with a weihnachtlichen Award, experience you in the test !" --from a babelfish translation of a German video game site...I was trying to find the German equivalent for "Engrish" (which is a jokey term for bady translated Japanese)--Auf Englishzein? Der Englishspeeken? Englishnitzel?
God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.
- There was this one lady janitor at my old company, who sang in the loveliest voice as she did her job. It occurred to me that there was a usefulness in warning people that she was cleaning a restroom before they entered.
- Back in December I was very excited about my new Braun toothbrush...it's one where the whole circle of bristles spins, not just the clusters on their own. It has a neat twangy "mouth harp" feel.
- It hits me that it shouldn't be such a big task to retrace mental steps. I think the fact that it can be that difficult tells us something about consciousness, that it isn't as strictly logical as we think.
A man gazing at the stars is proverbially at the mercy of the puddles in the road.
- CAP Alert has become a bit of an Internet joke. They provide movie reviews for Fundamentalist Christian parents, and pick on such oddball things (like adults in underwear, or having a "take care of #1" attitude expressed) that the reviews are kind of amusing. A more balanced view for parents seems to provided by Screen It...
"Heav'n, you're pleas'd to say, has made me beautiful, and that to such a Degree, that you are forc'd, nay, as it were compell'd to love me, in spite of your Endeavours to the contrary; and for the sake of that Love, you say I ought to love You again. Now, tho' I am sensible, that whatever is beautiful is lovely, I cannot conceive, that what is lov'd for being handsome, sho'd be bound to love that by which 'tis lov'd, meerly because 'tis lov'd."I once made a valentine quoting this, for a woman I was about ready to give up lusting after. I also found a more modern translation.
- Three Really, Really Bad Reasons to Want to Be a Marine Biologist, and Two Good Ones. I like insights about the sterotypes about various professions,
- "Merry Kwanukkah". The Usenet group alt.fan.cecil-adams suggests that as an all around holiday good wish. I guess a really cool one would have found a way of working in Solstice for the Pagans, but ah well.