December 6, 2002
- Seung Ho Henrik Holmberg makes some amazing landscapes...they say he just draws directly in Photoshop, and the results are astoundingly photorealistic.
- Mmm...mid-90s nostalgia...remember OK Soda, and its hotline? (What was it, 1-800-I-FEEL-OK ?) I remember a 1995 Wired magazine "Scenarios" view of 2020 that had an OK Soda ad in it...guess they missed on that one. I thought it was pretty good advertising campaign/attitude. (Sort of like that Coca-Cola slogan in Japan: "Coke: No Reason".)
- Geek Programming Links: Perl Paraphernalia! Plus PHP, PHP and more PHP!
- Video Game Director's Cuts has lots of homebrew Flash movies using Video Game characters, mostly Mario, Sonic, and that lot.
- This Salon interview with Signapore's ambassador to the UN has some interesting stuff on Asian nation's struggles with modernization, though his book's title ("Can Asians Think?") raised some eyebrows.
- "The worst case scenario is to have a bunch of dummies in charge of the nuclear weapons" --quote from Weekend All Things Considered, about the fact that the old generation of weapons scientists is retiring, and due to test bans there aren't enough up-and-comers to replace them. (via Ranjit)
- I first heard about the simulation Wa-Tor in a Scientific American "Computer Recreations" column. The idea is a grid (which could map onto a torus-shaped planet so the "wrap around" made sense) with shark predators and fish prey. Sharks eat too many fish, the fish population dies out, the sharks starve, the fish come back, lather rinse repeat.
- "[Sung while operating on Homer] The kneebone's connected to the... something. The something's connected to the... red thing. The red thing's connected to my wrist watch. ...Uh oh."
"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing, bees are trying to have sex with them -- as is my understanding..."
"Fat Tony is a cancer on this fair city! He is the cancer and I am the... uh... what cures cancer?"
- I was tempted by this CD with music from recent VW commercials...I think they really picked some great tunes and made some cool videos, as longtime readers already have seen.
- "Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate."