May 30, 2003
Travel Photo of the Moment
|Me and the Old Frankfurt Opera House, as reflected in a Volkswagen, 2003.05.26|
- "A man needs to know his limitations"
--Clint Eastwood in a Dirty Harry movie. I have this recorded with the note "SUV"--I think the concept being the freezenfreude of SUV owners who ignored that admonition and ended up deep in a snowbank.
- A while back on Christian Rightwing Radio I heard Focus on the Family talking about "Bill Kennedy", who was in jail unjustly, according to them, but they were very coy about the crime. I couldn't find anything online then, but now he and his case have their own website. Not as interesting or scandalous as I had hoped.
- Math Geekery: I should really look into recreating this, but in highschool I looked at the equation for a circle, x2 + y2 = a constant, and realized that there was an infinite set of generally untapped values that satisfied this equation if you used unreal numbers, i.e. the square root of negative one. I graphed and got some parabolas, if memory serves. I was proud of myself for thinking outside that particular box.
- The buyers' broker we used for our house mentioned her husband like the dice.com index of hightech jobs but I never really followed up on that.
- "Because history is a tragedy and not a melodrama."
--I.F. Stone on how he could admire the notorious slave owner Thomas Jefferson