January 17, 2004
Get rid of some of the old backlog. Sadly, this takes me to just a few days after last summer's trip to Europe...some pretty good links here though.
- Probably the most entertaining link in this set, Bad Hippo is pretty darn funny. Check out the archive, especially "How To's" and "Writings"
- Some guys made "Pykrete" for a science project, this amazing blend of ice and sawdust that they were thinking of making boats out of during WW2. Largely bulletproof and surprisingly resistant to melting when insulated, it just might've worked! Or not. Still quite an amazing material.
- Back in the mid 1990s, this tiny mars.exe demo amazed me, a 10K or less user-controlled zooming over a hilly "Martian" surface that would run even on a 386. Unfortunately, on my XP PC it only runs in fullscreen mode, it was much cooler as a window. Geek info here.
- The new superhero art of Bruce Timm Yowza!
- The transpanted cabin and psychological evaluation of the Unabomber, Theodore Kaczynski.
- The angler fish must be one of the coolest animals ever. Just look at it! And it actually has a little light! I thought it might be just something made for "Mega Man 2".
- Thirty Years in the Jungle -- those Japanese WW2 soldiers who didn't realize the war was over. Makes Tom Hanks in "Castaway" look like a wuss.
- I'm sure I had a better reason for wanting to link to this page of images from the game Altered Beast beyond them being vaguely interesting, but darned if I know what it was. I was never that crazy about the game anyway.
- Mark Frauenfelder (from boingboing) takes his family to try island life. Doesn't last that long, in all.
- "What's the difference between a Hollywood special-effects blockbuster like "Terminator 2" and a hard-core porn film? Very little, claims novelist, essayist and footnote fetishist David Foster Wallace."