June 26, 2005
- Read "The DaVinci Code". It mentions the Merovingian line, said to be Christ's bloodline and the founders of Paris, or something. It was kind of cool to use that name for a character in the Matrix movies.
- Slate on Why Strict Churches are Strong and King Tut = Boy George?
- 11 Steps to a Better Brain. I sometimes feel my mental capacities are diminishing, though I guess there's some chance its just relatively harmless changes; or possibly my self-monitoring is actually improving, so I'm more aware of my own limitations.
- My backlog said "RANT - HOW THE HELL DO PEOPLE MAKE INFORMED CAREER CHANGE DECISIONS?" Seriously...sometimes I think I should try a radically different career, but I have no idea how to find out how to ask the right questions about what that should be.
- Kittenwar! Head to Head battles of cuteness. Better than the usual "Am I ??? Or Not" interface.
- PostSecret -- amazing, amazing stuff, people write their secrets on anonymous postcards and send them in.
- For a brief time there I was getting into what Star Wars fandom head to say... there's a cool article on trying to explain away all the inconsistencies and goofs (I remember reading this stuff in Star Trek books back in the day.) THere's the "opaque window" point of view, which says in effect, what we see in the movies "really happened" but the movies and books aren't quite perfect viewscreens into those events. Perhaps the ultimate in this whole effort is trying to shoehorn the obscure but pleasant "Yoda's Stories" puzzle game Yoda Stories into the main Star Wars storyline.
- Hmmm...Slate things that a "Consciometer" could radically change the prolife/prochoice debate. Maybe not though, if it turns out an embryo really doesn't develop 'til later, because people who believe in souls wont say that consciousness is the same thing.