Every season I keep a rolling playlist of music I discover, and then I track down videos for most of them, to share them with you, and to keep around for my future self. Last Winter was a pretty good season for my music!
March 16, 2011
Recommendations from friends.
- Fidelity - Regina Spektor - such a lovely song, and a great artist, who Amber introduced me to.
- I Want To Hold Your Hand T.V.Carpio - from the "Across the Universe)" soundtrack, but I had forgotten about it until I heard it again from Amber's collection.
- Walk on the Wild Side - Lou Reed - this was on Miller's mix when we did 24 Hour Comics Day last October. Between this, Lola, and Tone Loc's Funky Cold Medina, there seems to be an 80s fascination with the genderbendering...
- Thinking 'Bout Somethin' - Hanson. Gerard LaFond, coworker and big name in the whole infogames thing, mentioned this Blues Brother tribute... despite the boy band roots of these guys, they're pretty great.
- Shut Up & Kiss Me - Orianthi. From Kjersten, I think.
- Pump It - Black Eyed Peas. Maybe the NFL halftime show reminded me of their excellent use of "misirlou".
- The Power Is On - The Go! Team. An NFL commercial used this... I think I just dig that shouty girl voice thing.
- Hi de Ho - K7. They played this before the Celtics game I went to. Uses a lot of Cab Calloway's Minnie the Moocher- he shows up at the beginning of the video. Very hard to track down the song.
- Go Speed Racer Go - Ali Dee and The Deekompressors. Such a vibrant kinetic movie... if you're a friend of mine ask me to watch it on my big projector screen.
- Creep - Scala & Kolacny Brothers. "The Social Network" used this, it's really kind of amazing.
- Mad Men Theme - DJ Swindeal. (Different video) I was looking for a simple version, this remix is ok.
- Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing - Chris Isaak. Rewatched "Eyes Wide Shut" with Amber.
- God's Gonna Cut You Down -- Kevin Lovatt. The video is what introduced me to the Johnny Cash version, but I could only find Kevin Lovatt's cover... his voice though is of the stronger, middle-aged Cash, not the weathered version heard in that video.
- Umbrella - The Baseballs. Such a terrific 60s rock cover of last decade's pop.
- I Just Had Sex -- The Lonely Island. Tacky, but funny. And the music is actually really slickly arranged, it sounds great.
- Gimme Pizza Slow - Olsen Twins. I think I already linked to the creepy weirdness that results from slowing down the 90s kiddie show song.
- Brand New Colony - The Postal Service
- Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy - The Andrews Sisters. Man, I love the musicality when one of the sisters imitates a wailing trumpet.
- Skate or Die - Rob Hubbard. One of the best bits of video game music ever, especially the C=64 version.
- Rollin' (Air Raid Vehicle) - Limp Bizkit. Kind of a catchy but idiotic song, but they used a cleaned up version of it on the old "NHL Hitz" game I'd play with my young cousins.
- Kiss Me Deadly - Lita Ford. The "went to a party last saturday night, didn't get laid, got in a fight, uh-huh, it ain't no big thing" line was in my head for a while-- didn't realize it was a woman singing. The video is actually really sexy in an 80s hairband kind of way.
- Mr. Roboto - Styx. It's weird how the rock-opera-musical story aspect of this song can shine through as you listen.
- You Were Meant For Me -- Jewel
- Bubbly - Colbie Caillat (cvs)
- Listen To Your Heart - DHT (new version)
- Go Go Gadget Flow -- Lupe Fiasco
- Dynamite -- Audio Bullys
- Les Petits Ballons -- France Gall
- Fortune Teller -- Benny Spellman
- Airplanes -- B.o.B./Hayley Williams - scandal
- If I Was Your Girlfriend - Prince
- Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun - Beastie Boys
- Last Leaf - Ok Go
- Face Melter - The Japanese Popstars. Love how this sounds like printer noise.
- Kanye Mahna
- It's Time We Ramble On
- Bjorn Slippy
- Do Your Thing to the Music
- Hop Star
- Imagine Wild Music
- My Shiny Gun Mosey
- Soul Shot
- War Discographer
Kind of weird that the iPhone playlist has the album name before the artist-if you don't listen to the whole album, likely it doesn't matter
http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xhkp04 - Tron "tween" vid, via miller. Weird to think that many of Tron's biggest fans are probably a bit faceblind; so Alan Bradly/Tron being the same guy is harder to "get"
Amber says that if she twittered it would be something like "Surprised Kirk hasn't made any 'Erin Go Braless!' jokes this year. Yet."