May 3, 2011
So this photo, of the White House staff watching events unfold in the Situation Room, is making the rounds. I really appreciate Obama and Clinton's expressions.
Boingboing pointed out some nuances (in part from here):
- There was some talk on the news wires of CIA director Leon Panetta and the National Security team watching the operation unfold, real-time, via live video. Is that what they're doing here? And how did that work?
- Are they viewing the moment of the kill, or perhaps the body?
- what that mosaic'd document was. Guesses?
- The document beneath it looks like the aerial shot of the compound one can also see on Google Earth.
- Next to Obama on the floor, there's a burn bag.
- Man next to Clinton has a "Secret Service" lanyard around his neck.
- Clinton's holding a binder that says "Top Secret Code Word NOFORN, For use in White House Sit Room only."
- They're using HP laptops.
- Ethernet, no wireless.
- Clinton's expression is particularly intense.
- Seating arrangement.
Bin Laden is finally dead. It's amazing what Americans can do when the Playstation Network is down.
http://www.juancole.com/2011/05/obama-and-the-end-of-al-qaeda.html - a level headed look at how Osama came to be
http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/05/out-of-osamas-death-a-fake-quotation-is-born/238220 - hmm, that MLKjr quote isn't him...
I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'