Another quarter gone by, another 40-odd songs discovered, or rediscovered...
June 5, 2011
FWIW, I slightly modified how I listen to this music. For a long while I've been building resetting my seasonal playlist at the start of each season. But that led to songs added late in the season not getting as much play, which in turn led to stuff like me holding off on downloading a song 'til the beginning of the next quarter, which kind of missed the point of an ongoing "new music in my life" playlist. So, now I mostly listen to a rolling playlist of the last 25 songs added. I also added a "last 25 songs, 4 stars or higher", which makes my the ranking a little more meaningful...
One five star track last season:
- If You Kiss Jesus - Robin Skouteris. The "My Little Pony" video put to this mashup was played at a Pax East panel on "Playing to Win" (For no particularly good reason, except it rocks.)
- Something Bigger, Something Better - Amanda Blank, used on some youtube video or other. Love the line "my ladies who got their own cash / know how to swing they hips fast"
- Make Some Noise - The Beastie Boys. I'm on their email list. "here we go again / give you more, nothin' less-a / back on the mic is the anti-depress-a"
- S&M - Rihanna. Amber digs this tune - there should be more videos this playfully sexy. "I may be bad / but I'm perfectly good / at it" ... "sticks and stones may break my bones but chains and wips excite me"
- King Creole (Viva Elvis) - Elvis Presley. Played during the final days of the Copley Square Borders (sigh) "He lay downs a beat / like a ton of coal"
- Wild Wild West (Album Version With Intro) - Will Smith. Amazingly catchy song-- Will Smith's delivery is so much fun.
- Satellite (Live 1. Runde) - Lena Meyer-Landrut. Like I posted a few days ago, Veronika and Volker introduced me to this Eurovision winner... "i bought new underwear they're blue / and i wore them just the other day"
- Star Lake Pep Song - Star Lake Camp. I kisrael'd about this. One of a small collection of MP3s where I'm listening to myself.
- That's Some Dream - Good Old War. Heard this at the Copley Square CVS.
- Roam - The B-52's. Old favorite from college a capella days. Love the line "hip to hip, rocking through the wilderness."
- SOS - Rihanna. On one of Amber's play lists, dig the Tainted Love samples
- Immigraniada (We Comin' Rougher) - Gogol Bordello. Boingboing debuted this song -- it's the story of legal immigrants who are still given the short shift in this land.
- Just A Little Lovin' (GB Remix) - Carmen McRae. Heard this on that racy (if heteronormative) Sealy's Mattress Ad. So sweet.
- Blow, Gabriel, Blow - Ethel Merman. (The version I have is higher energy) Might remember this from my mom's musical days...
- Harvey & Sheila (LP Version) - Allan Sherman. This was on a Dr. Demento a family friend (Captain Shenk I think) made for my dad when he was sick.
- You Can't Hurry Love - The Supremes. Classic!
- Here I Come - Fergie. Fun.
- Spirit In The Sky - Norman Greenbaum. I think I heard a radio piece on how many movies use this song, it didn't make Greenbaum rich but he was able to retire.
- Take Me Home - Holly Cole - beautiful retelling of a Tom Waits classic... I've had this for a while, but it was a bad MP3 rip.
- Beatles VS James Brown We Can Work - found this while researching my last musical roundup.
- Mad Men Theme With a Twist - Found this interesting mashup of Mad Men and "Nature Boy".
- Step On My Trip - Dub_Fx. I think I put the live version of this here before; the studio version loses something with the polish, but still good.
- Move - H-Blockx. Found when digging up their version of Snap's "The Power". High energy 90s silliness.
- White Rabbit - Emiliana Torrini. The soundtrack to "Sucker Punch" had some intriguing covers.
- I Want It All / We Will Rock You Mash-Up - Queen+Armegeddon. From the same movie.
- Do The Mario (clean Version) - Hiimrawn & Hi Im Rawn Producer. BoingBoing linked to one of the related videos.
- One More Minute - Weird Al Yankovic. A memory from my even more geek youth...
- Feelin' Alright - Joe Cocker. Heard at Whole Foods.
- Yo Marco El Minuto - Mala Rodriguez. There's a sexy bit of strip tease to this in the movie "Sex and Lucia"
- Give me the seventies - Jean. Fun "Sex and Lucia". Then the guy does a more playful dance to this song in the same move...
- Express Yourself (Album Version) - Charles Wright & The Watts 103rd. Street Rhythm Band. Now seen in a coffeemate commercial.
- E.T. (feat. Kanye West) - Katy Perry. Recommended by my buddy JZ. (No not that JZ)
- Just Canít Get Enough - Black Eyed Peas. Ditto.
- Sesames Treet (Vocal Mix) - Smart Es. Had this one for a long while, finally looked up the artist to get a legit copy.
- Peppyrock - BTK. I remembered writing down this title in the 90s, forgeting about it, looking it up, realizing it was a song and video, forgetting about it, then remembering it again for no good reason. Catchy song.
- Saturday Night Live Star Wars - Bill Murray. This one I've known about for years.
- Runaway - Del Shannon. Coworker Jon, with leaky headphones, was listening to this. Plus I think it was on one of those old McD's "Shake Burger and Fries" mix tapes I had growing up.
- One Of Us - Joan Osborne. One of those 90s songs. Mighta heard it again in a CVS.
- Ass-n-Titties - DJ Assault. This horrendous little ditty was stuck in the head of Felis Demens a long while back
- Insane In The Brain (Explicit Album Version) - Cypress Hill. Reminded by the movie "Havoc"
- Crazy Vibes - Selah Sue. Heard this in a grocery store in Paris.
- Wonderman (Feat. Ellie Goulding) - Tinie Tempah. They were playing this at the H+M on the Champs d'Elyesee
- Still D.R.E. - Dr. Dre. Ditto.
- Where do I begin (Away Team mix) - Shirley Bassey. I think the cabaret Lido might have been playing this.
- 7 Years and 50 Days (Radio Edit) - Groove Coverage. I don't think Lido was playing a different song by the same folk. Europop fun!