November was a terrible month for me in most ways, but oddly enough a great one for discovering music, especially Golddust which you really need to watch.
November 30, 2012
All songs here I call 3 stars or better, 4+ star songs I've colored red. Songs with videos (vs just static image music uploads) are marked with an exclamation point, multiple exclamation points indicate extra goodness.
- !!!Golddust (DJ Fresh) Oh my goodness. My first 5-Star in a long while. Both the video (amazing and well-shot jumprope action) and the song are so full of energy. (Tough MP3 to find; avoid the slower (and sadly more common) dubstep version)
- Humming the Bassline (Hideki Naganuma) From the "Jet Grind Radio" sound track, great bouncy bass.
- !Lazy (X-Press 2 Ft. David Byrne) I'm reading David Byrne's book... I guess this was a big hit for X-Press, and as some reviewer quipped, he'd collaborate with anyone "for a half-empty bag of Doritos"
- !!Thrift Shop (Macklemore & Ryan Lewis) Warning, kinda racy lyrics, but sometimes I like this song a bit more than "Golddust", even.
- !!Barack Obama vs Mitt Romney (Epic Rap Battles of History) Honestly, I was too stressed to listen to this 'til the election wsa one... but so much fun, and such great lines.
- !My Vag (Awkwafina) More racy lyrics, but laugh out loud funny.
- !My Ding-A-Ling (Chuck Berry) Man, this is a funny classic. At first I didn't realize the crowd is british, but you can kind of hear it, especially when the women sing. Like the pro-gay aspect of it too.
- Happy Hour (Is The Saddest Time Of The Day) (Ray Stevens) Jeez. I had this on a tape when I was a kid. The hamfisted laugh track really is something.
- !Tell Me 'Bout It (Joss Stone) Sexy fun, with a great retro sound.
- !A Simple Motion (t.A.T.u.) I've known about the Russian version of this song for a long while; I think the more orchestral English version is new for the anniversary of "200 km/h in the Wrong Lane". Sexy and direct.
- !Dog Days Are Over (Florence + The Machine) Amber digs this song. It's a little long, but good.
- !Rolling In The Deep (Adele) Obviously this one has made the rounds, but it's such a good sound.
- Give It to Me (Reel Big Fish) Heard this in the restroom at Summer Shack. Not the biggest Ska fan, but this is alright.
- Linger (The Cranberries) Lovely little song from a while back.
- Express Yourself (Charles Wright & The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band) Kind of amazed it took me so long to get this song.
- Joshua Fit the Battle of Jericho (The Jordanaires) Back in my Salvation Army days, there was a novelty spoken word and brass band arrangement of this. Couldn't find that, but this version is more direct.
- They Built The Ship Titanic (Margaret Ann) The video isn't the song I found... but I remember singing this one with my mom.
- Rum & Coca Cola (Lord Invader) A classic, a bit more raw than the Andrews Sisters' version.
- Accentuate the Positive (Horace Heidt & His Orchestra) My version is different than the link. What strikes me is how many covers mention that it's a Johnny Mercer song.
- !My Way (Sex Pistols) A guy at Alewife quoted "regrets, I've had a few..." and I had to find a version of this. The Sex Pistols cover is idiosyncratic to say the least but I like how they also use it over the credits of "Goodfellas"
- !Always On My Mind (Willie Nelson) Oh, man, oh man oh man. Heartbreak like no other.
- !!These Boots Are Made For Walkin' (Radio Edit) (Jessica Simpson) Countrified remake. The video gets an extra exclamation point for gratuitous bikini-ness.