December was only an ok month for me for finding new music. The stuff that resonated most was on the sad side, for kind of obvious reasons; but it felt like kismet or maybe some kind of synchronicity.
January 1, 2013
The four-star songs are marked in red; leading exclamation points indicate videos that are compelling (other than as a holder for the song)
- !What It Might Have Been (Chris Smither). Zenlike, and yet so sorrowful.
- !!!la ritournelle - Mr dan's magic wand mix (Sébastien Tellier) I didn't realize quite how beautiful and sad this song was 'til I sent the link to Amber. The video is also so lovely.
- !!Heartbeats (José González) A pretty song, and the video (technically an ad, but who cares) is that universe of bouncy balls dropped down a SF hilly street.
- !Everybody Knows (Leonard Cohen) With clips from "The Man from U.N.C.L.E."
- Giant Dwarf (The Exploding Voids) I literally might be these Germans #1 American Fan, but the stuff isn't released yet.
- Honorable Mention: !!A Long December. Not a new song, and it often resonated for me before, but it never felt more accurate.
- !!Crazy in Love (Rude Mechanical Orchestra) Marching band cover -- great. Now that I have a tuba I need to get my act together and join the pickup band at the HONK fest.
- !!Baby, It's Cold Outside (She & Him) The best song ever about date rape (or is it about that?) gets a new look with a gender swap.
- Chinese (Lily Allen) Almost on the "wistful" list -- learned that the English say "get a Chinese" for getting Chinese food.
- !The Old Apartment (Barenaked Ladies) Kinda funny, if a bit too goofy with its twist.
- !!Hook (Blues Traveler) Haha, such a jaded, meta-song.
- Too Old To Die Young (Brother Dege)
- Who Did That to You? (John Legend)
- !Unchained (The Payback / Untouchable) (James Brown/2Pac) I had such high hopes for this... if the track was just the Payback remix that kicks in at 0:53 of the movie trailer, it would be perfect. With movie clips and a mashup with Tupac, it's just pretty good.
- Freedom (Anthony Hamilton) Had to see the movie for me to notice this. Sounds a bit like Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy"
- Man of Constant Sorrow (Kraak & Smaak) This is like the 4th or 5th version of this song I have, and it lacks the background chorus, but it sets a mood nicely.
- Underwater Rimes (Remix) (Digital Underground) Haha, early 90s hiphop comedy against the awesome Chameleon bassline. Calling it "Rimes" is hella clever, but made it tougher to search for on e-stores.
- !!!Bane - Freestyle Rap (Auralnauts) Terrifically terrible freestyle. I find the youtube rip better than the version I paid for.
- Shame On a N***a (Wu-Tang Clan) Heard this somewhere. Just kind of fun.
- I See You Baby (Fatboy Slim Remix) (Groove Armada) Big energy.
- !!!Video Computer System (GOLDEN SHOWER) Loving tribute to the sounds and gameplay of the old Atari... the Matrix shout out at 1:50 is terrific.
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind ?
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and auld lang syne?
For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup of kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.
Going to Facebook has become the equivalent of opening the fridge & staring inside, even though you're not hungry.
The night Kim Kardashian got pregnant is the night she told Kanye, 'Imma let you finish.'
Ha, the format of trying to predict this year's Xth anniversary of Y headlines, stock art, and lead-in sentence feels right on.