February 3, 2013
Janury was a relatively light month for finding music, but contiuned the kizmet of melancholy songs for me with two astounding covers... 4 or more star songs in red, exclamation points mark more visually compelling videos.
Amazing and Melancholy Covers
- Something About You (Cary Brothers feat. Laura Jansen) -- the lyrics are have a perfect complexity, and the treatment here is just perfection. 5 stars.
- One (Damien Rice) I'm not crazy about the lyric flip he does, but the sweetness is amazing
- Je t'aime moi non plus (Serge Gainsbourg & Jane Birkin) - wikipedia's explanation of this piece, including the heavy breathing and the Dali joke that inspired it, is kinda neat.
- Light You Up (Radio Edit) (Shawn Mullins) Kind a Santana vibe to this one.
- Bread & Butter (Hugo) Big percussion and sexed up lyrics....
- A Crimson Rose and a Gin Tonic (Asuka Sakai, Ado Mizumori) The 50s vibe of this song is so fun.
- Sasasan Katamari (Yu Miyake, Yuusama) Gets the extra star because it's charming and short, but...
- Katamari on the Rock ~ Main Theme (Yu Miyake, Masayuki Tanaka) ...I kind of like the Orchestra in this one better.
- !We Are the Champions (The Busters) Ska cover.
- !!@$$ on the Internet (Dormtainment) -- warning, that is one Booty Shakin' video.
- !!19-2000 (Soul Child Remix) (Gorillaz) I picked a slightly more upbeat mix than played here, but that is a fun video.
- Don't Say Nothing (The Heavy) Great big percussion.
- The Neon Light of the Saints (Shawn Colvin) Nice blend of softness and drums.
- Voodoo (Red Callender Sextette)
- Oh My God (Jay-Z) from the "Gangster Squad" soundtrack, oddly enough. Big horns and funk.
New Saucony sneakers to help me and my flat as hell feet pound across the frozen tundra this Superbowl morning.
Apparently some people are living my dream, the one where I'm kind of soaring and flying:
Valentine's Blender of Love
"GOOD THING ALL THOSE DINOSAURS DIED HELLA LONG AGO SO WE CAN SIT IN THESE CHAIRS MOVING 80 MILES PER HOUR ACROSS THIS DESOLATE WASTELAND"
As an ex-Clevelander I have very ambivalent feelings about the Ravens. But my rules is, if I don't have a dog in the fight, root for the team in a city that seems less pleasant to live in. So, yay Baltimore Ravens!