The music I added to my collection last month -- Needing/Getting was fan-tas-tic. Exclamation points mark worthwhile videos.
May 3, 2013
Alt with Big Drums
- !!!Needing/Getting (Video Version) (OK Go) I love the lyrical resignation of this song, and this version, with its car-powered percussive instrumentation, is amazing to hear and to see.
- !!!This Too Shall Pass (Marching Band Version) (OK Go) Most songs are better when you add a marching band.
- !!Beast (Nico Vega) Perfect song for the credits of "Bioshock Infinite"
- !Ain't No Rest for the Wicked (Live from The Vic In Chicago) (Cage the Elephant) Kind of a White Stripes vibe to this.
- !10. A.M. Automatic (The Black Keys) Man, I love this kind of drum.
- !We Are Young (Radio Edit) (Fun) I guess this song has gotten a lot of play, but it's pretty good.
- !!Somebody That I Used To Know (Walk Off the Earth) A beautiful post-breakup duet -- the video, with all the performers on one guitar thing, is pretty awesome
- !Blowin' Smoke (Kacey Musgraves) NPR had a thing about this singer-songwriter, kind of a Sheryl Crowe vibe.
- !We the Common (For Valerie Bolden) (Thao & The Get Down Stay Down) Gentle bluegrass elements to this. Must be the banjo.
- !Long Hard Times to Come (From "Justified") (Gangstagrass/T.O.N.E-Z) Hiphop over bluegrass.
- !Justified (Cumberland River Band) A little too much Wild Wild West swagger, but good banjo.
- Viva Las Vegas (Shawn Colvin) Great soft cover from the credits of Big Liebowski.
- !Don't Dream It's Over (Sixpence None the Richer) I sang this in college, and it's a nice enough version.
- !Eternal Flame (Atomic Kitten) Oy. I like the modern polish, and have nostalgia for this song, as awful as it kind of is.
- Play Your Part (Pt. 1) [Explicit] (Girl Talk) Kind of gross pimp hiphop over terrific R+B...
- !Into Action (Tim Armstrong) Catchy boogie-woogie like movement.
- !Poisoning Pigeons In the Park (Tom Lehrer) ...I actually sang this goofy, whimsically dark number for my high school Senior talent night. It didn't go over all that well.
- !NYC Bitche$ (Awkwafina) From the singer of "My Vag", kind of a novelty number with a lot of authentic details from the buroughs.
- !!We Hate Everyone (K.Flay) Not as good as "So Fast, So Maybe", but the beat is great.
Slate on LOL Heh. Just like I'll never be really comfortable wearing a backpack with both straps because that was totally uncool in the late 80s, I will never be at ease using "LOL" because that's what the AOL noobs used in the mid-90s...
"Likeness is a most slippery tribe"