The songs I added to my regular rotation, not many this month so I kept them in the order I added them. 4-stars marked in red, interesting videos with a "!".
August 1, 2013
- !Blurred Lines (WARNING: BOOBS) (Robin Thicke)
I grabbed this before I realized how well known it was. Catchy tune, if (arguably) Date Rape-y. The Gender-swapped version made me think about femininity in general.)
- Fools Gold (The Stone Roses) Not sure if I dig this beyond the little drum beat or not.
- Somewhere Over the Rainbow (Israel Kamakawiwo'ole) I prefer this to the one that includes "Wonderful World"
- Niggun (J.A.) A "niggun" is a pleasant, stylized (often prayer-ish) song in the Jewish tradition.
- Wake (M.G.) ... a song made by for J.A., during a set of fraught and heart-tearing circumstances.
- Lollipop (MIKA) Switching gears, a catchy bit of summer fluff.
- Asshole (Denis Leary) Dumb comedy song but I like the yodeling. EB says he can't stand how Denis Leary ripped off Bill Hicks.
- Sailor's Hornpipe (Harvey Reid) Decided I needed a little popeye action. Surprised the version I liked was banjo-y.
- Easy - Dub Fx Cover | ft. CAde (Dub Fx)
Cool cover. I really like the line "Easy like Sunday Morning".
- Under Pressure (Queen & David Bowie) A classic though I always think of the Vanilla Ice version. The vocal only version is interesting.
- It's Alright With Me (Frank Sinatra) More upbeat than the version I have... actually I'm surprised at what a happyface spin so many artists put on this kind of melancholy song.
- Barney Miller - Theme from the TV Series (feat. Dominik Hauser) (Jack Elliot & Allyn Ferguson) I always liked this one.
- !Map of Tasmania (feat. Amanda Palmer & Peaches) (The Young Punx) The best song about the Delta of Venus imaginable. I love its attitude. (The version I have has a decent rap break by Peaches.)
- !Please Mr. Brown (Pontus Winnberg of Miike Snow Remix) (Sarah Vaughan) Verve is still milking that "remix of our awesome back catalog" thing, but when it works it really works.
- Cups (Movie Version) (Anna Kendrick) Sweet little rhythmic song.
- Thank You (Dido) Maybe I know this from "Better Than Chocolate"?
- Back 2 Back - Digital Remakin' Track / Water Palace: Act 1 (SEGA / Hideki Naganuma) Kind of a funky take on Louie-Louie... I like it because it reminds me of the same artist's work on "Jet Grind Radio"
Gas prices don't seem so bad once you realize you're buying explosive liquid dinosaurs
New "prime the canvas" technique in art class.