No 4-stars last month. You should see An Interpretive Dance For My Boss Set To Kanye West's Gone if you haven't already.
November 2, 2013
- Time Just Gets Away From Us (feat. Rachel K Collier) (Lung) Nice bit of softer electronica.
- Rill Rill (Sleigh Bells) Always dig their use of female vocals and big sounding percussion.
- California (Mazzy Star) Mazzy Star's return, hardly a thing has changed but it's dark and lovely.
- Young and Beautiful (Lana Del Rey) Guess this is 4 "female vocal centric tracks" in a row.
- Bassheads (Gangrene) A little bummed that I didn't find more new good stuff on the GTA 5 soundtrack, but this bit of hiphop is fun.
- The Agency Heist (GTA5 Soundtrack) On the other hand, this original, 70s-tinged hiest music, with its giant hornfall, was great.
- John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt (Wee Sing) Had an urge to have this old childhood classic. Umm, the version I settled on has a better bassline than this one.
- Wonderlust King (Gogol Bordello) Shout-y folk.
- Kashmir (Bond) For some reason Led Zep's Kashmir kept coming up this month. I like this string over of it, in part because it's shorter than the original.
- I'll Be Mellow When I'm Dead ("Weird Al" Yankovic) I ended up periodically grabbing songs from the first album I bought on my own, Weird Al's first release. I always like the existential stance of this one.
- Gone (Featuring Consequence & Cam'ron) (Kanye West) This "I Quit" video was making the rounds, and brought an 8 year old song back to the charts. I could watch her dance for hours. Also, I like the note of sadness in the original song.
- Nosey Joe (The Brian Setzer Orchestra) Heard this before the HONK! Parade. Like a lot of that 90s swing revival stuff, it's catchy but maybe a little too "clean".
- Rhubarb and Custard (Taxman Remix) (Zen) Rhubarb and Custard is a flavor combo for candy in the UK. Researching it I found out about this raver favorite.
- Wicked Games (feat. Anna Naklab) [Radio Edit] (Parra for Cuva) Lovely, haunting cover. Odd little high pitched noise they use; surprised it's not more annoying.
- ZOMOFG The REAL Harlem Shake Remix (ZOMOFG) The Problematics Of The Fake Harlem Shake introduced me to this video showing the real deal. That said, I still kind of like the surreal co-opting version.
- Hurt (Johnny Cash) On the flight back from the UK, I had the misfortune of watching "The Hangover 3" and it reminded me of this cover, from just before I started getting MP3s of songs I liked.
- Mr. Brightside (The Killers) This clip from "The Call Centre" had an oddball pushy boss make his new recruits karaoke to this (because "Happy People Sell, Miserable Bastards Don't")
- Crazy In Love (The Puppini Sisters) A friends dance class video introduced me to this cover, I like it better than the one in "The Great Gatsby"