advent day 4
Thinking about the power of mindfulness. It seems greatly empowering to be gatekeeper of one's mind, letting good thoughts hang around and linger and dismissing the distractions and negative ideas. Trying to think of why it scares me a little though, and I realize it's because of past frustrations with people who are very contentedly ensconced in a particularly arbitrary mindset or faith or belief system, and utterly unassailable to logical debate of what they're believing. I... don't want to me one of "them".
Don't Start a Company, Kid - interesting counterpoint to the usual ra-ra-entrepreneurship thinking.
The dramatic oversimplification of one of the longest studies ever: "Happiness = Love. Full stop."
Playlist November 2013:
- Happy Trails (Van Halen) Surprised to find this cover, looking for a version of this song.
- Sweet Georgia Brown (Brother Bones & His Shadows) My Honk Band does this one, and I love it.
- Faidherbe Square (feat. Mister Colfer & DJ Crabees) (ProleteR) Oddly ethnic-retrop hiphop.
- Royals (Lorde) Late to the game on this one, but it's pretty sweet.
- B�same Mucho (Trio Ellas) Lovely classic.
- What's Up? (4 Non Blondes) Another "90s song I missed". Not great, but not bad.
- New Slaves (Kanye West) Heard this on NPR. Intrigued by Kanye working to repurpose the confederate flaf as his personal symbol.
- Soul Finger (LP Version) (The Bar-Kays) Boingboing had this motown-like piece.
- Faint (Live) (LINKIN PARK) Another guilty pleasure.
- Dragula (Rob Zombie) Love the fury of this, especially after hearing the inspiration was the car from the Munsters.
- Bouncin' Back (Bumpin' Me Against the Wall) (Mystikal) Love Mystikal's delivery.
- Vinter Undervare (Stan Boreson) A Dr. Demento classic.
- (Reloaded the entire License to Ill album, because of the "Girls" controversy)
Taking over some Java Swing UI code... compared to HTML5/js, it feels SO WEIRD to try and build your nouns via a series of verbs...