Songs I added to my collection in December... ones in red are especially great.
January 8, 2014
- As It Comes (The Exploding Voids) My favorite German group is finally making videos... I've loved this song for years. One of my all time favorites, such an eloquent expression of detachment and again, in a short little piece.
- What It Is About (The Exploding Voids) Another song by them that's really growing on me. (despite the little typo in the text of the video.)
- Go Where the Love Is (Edie Brickell) Very sweet song, used on the sound track to "The Way Way Back".
- Michael Jordan vs Muhammad Ali (Epic Rap Battles of History) One of the top three they've done. I love the way they captured Ali's flow: "Ooh here comes Jordan / Big tongue wobblin' / FLyin' through the air like a big dumb goblin"
- Barnacle Bill (Oscar Brand) I've heard of this song for years, ever since I heard my dad answered a speaker at training school (seminary) who was asking "Who is that knocking at my door?" with "It's Je-sus Christ the Savior"
- The Monster (feat. Rihanna) (Eminem) Good modern sound.
- Worried Man Blues (Woody Guthrie) Some of the oldest sheet music I own is this song, from my elementary school days. Very fun to sing along and harmonize to.
- I Need My Girl (The National) Not sure why this song was featured on "The Mindy Project" but it's great.
- Sleigh Ride (The Ronettes) Ronnie Spector was on public radio a lot this holiday, and the Wall of Sound is just terrific.
- The Man With The Bag (Kay Starr) Another nice big band holiday sound.
- My Thang (Regrooved by DJP) (James Brown) Funky remix. I was studying up on "It's Your Thing", and supposedly this song used the same bass line, but the presentation is way different.
- The Dinghy Song (Ruth Wallis) Another from that old Dr. Demento tape a friend made for my dad when he was sick; kind of fun and raunchy.
- Dang Me (Roger Miller) My mom reminded me of that old "Dang me, dang me, they oughta take a rope and hang me..." that I remember singing as a kid.
- No Rain (Blind Melon) Someone mentioned their coworker had the opening bars of this as a ring tone. One of those 90s songs that I kind of liked but wouldn't have bought a whole CD for.
- Fighting Man (DJ Pone & Drixxxe) Sought this out after Shazam or SoundHound managed to name it behind this extremely weird Simpsons spanish dub.
- Put 'Em On the Glass (Sir Mix-A-Lot) NSFW video. Kind of a sequel to "Baby Got Back". Notable for actually having nipples in a pop music video.
- Hallelujah Chorus (Bruce Kurnow) I wanted a version of Hallelujah Chorus and kind of like the twang in this one all harmonica version.
http://www.xkcd.com/1314/ Today's xkcd reminded me of this quote:
Photography isn't about the pictures. Pictures never come out right. It's about the adventure.
Re: global warming and the cold weather 'Liberals keep telling me the Titanic is sinking but my side of the ship is 500 feet in the air.'