from Ben Mordecai on the Quora What should every person be knowledgeable about or be proficient in by the age of 20?:
So I figure I'm somewhere around 6 1/2 out of 9. Anyway, I like this list better than Heinlein's "Specialization is for Insects" litany.
- How to cook 10 good meals
- How to dress like an adult and not a teenager
- How to get enough sleep on a daily basis
- How to manage your tasks, projects, and calendars so that you never miss a date or forget anything important.
- How to read 100 pages in a day with the same comprehension you would experience if they were spoken to you.
- How to relate to the opposite sex without objectifying them or being afraid of them.
- How to break arbitrary addictions: soda, Facebook, TV, video games, tobacco
- How to pay bills on time and not spend more than you can afford
- How to be comfortable in your own skin, without constant need of affirmation, showing off, sounding smart, whatever.
Related, from Basic Instructions How to Take Stock of Your Life:
"You've made mistakes, and people have suffered for it, but you've never deliberately hurt anyone."
"That's true. I always mean well."
"If there were a classification for what you are in Dungeons and Dragons, it'd be something like 'incompetent good.'"