June was pretty decent for new music for me. If you check out nothing else, look at Super Spice Bros 2.
July 9, 2015
- Super Spice Bros 2 (Old Spice) This is advertising turned up to way beyond 11. At least 15 or 16. I love the little touches in it.
- Danger (Been So Long) (Mystikal featuring Nivea) John Oliver sampled the "DAAAANGER!" refrain. I just love Mystikal's delivery, Louis Armstrong meets Pigmeat Markham meets... I don't even know.
- Run (Radio Edit) [feat. Wretch 32] (Baby Blue) Ah, the appeal of british-accented women rappers.
- House Party (feat. B-Case & U-Jean) (DJ Antoine & Mad Mark) Played on the Atlantic City Board Walk. Like the way the bass kicks in around 1:38.
- Get Busy (Sean Paul) Dance Hall goofiness.
- Wicked Ones (DOROTHY) Some of that epic / western-tinged stuff
- Wasp Nest (The National) Mellow, sad song. The refrain "you're a wasp nest" is weirdly visceral and evocative.
- Suite: Judy Blue Eyes (Crosby, Stills & Nash) Years ago I recorded the quote "Fear is the lock, and laughter the key, to your heart". Now I realize this was what Weird Al Was parodying in Mission Statement
- Aw Naw (Chris Young) My Aunt introduced me to this fun dumb country song. Aw Naw != "Aw HELL Nah".
- Default (Django Django) Very Phoenix-like Indie stuff.
- Sweet Dreams Are Made of This (The Soul Rebels) My college A cappella group covered this, and the brass version is sweet.
- They Will Know We Are Christians (Mosaic) I think once upon a time I had a cassette with the Star Lake Men's Chorus doing a kick butt version of this song, with a tight drum and piano. This is as close as I could find. I think it's also the best aspiration for Christianity.
- Our God Is an Awesome God (Rich Mullins) Another song from my more religious youth. This isn't the version I grabbed, which also has Organ, but it's short and powerful and fun to harmonize to.
- Solid (Soulive) Instrumental, reminds me a bit of Booker T & The M.G.s - used as bumper music on WNYC
- I Believe In Miracles (Jackson Sisters) I think the Beastie Boys sampled from this... great 70s funk
via Gizmodo, housing values across the USA. I love how this looks like a beating heart energized by where people want to live.
Fascinating post-exit interview with a "Blue Man". We've gotten kind of used to them, but they've really assembled an amazing thing.
In defense of "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. That was a fun show.
"dont say 'man up' say 'level up' because video games are cooler than gender binary"2019 update: I think 'power up' would maybe be better. though ambiguous, a bit. 'use a power up'?
SO IT TURNS OUT Crown Royal on the rocks is kind of gross but Crown Royal neat alternating with Skinny Cow Chocolate Truffle popsicles is sort of awesome. WHO KNEW???