A surprising amount of 4-stars (marked in red) last month...
September 2, 2016
- Phantom (Redux) (Shirt) and Nobody Speak (feat. Run The Jewels) (DJ livew) - these two songs feel a bit similar, awesome old school electric strings and horns.
- Move Bitch (feat. Mystical & I-20) (Ludacris) Song is a little harsh, but I really dig Mystical.
- GREEN TEA (FEAT. MARGARET CHO) (Awkwafina) Awkwafina is terrific in general.
- Nuevos Tiempos (Pueblo Cafe) One of those "credits for Silicon Valley")
- Blockbuster Night, Pt. 1 (Run The Jewels) These guys are good.
- Supermarioland (Ambassadors Of Funk) I was delighted that this song uses the rarely-covered "Super Mario Land" Gameboy theme... super nostalgic.
- Mario Hanafuda (Nintendo) The more often covered original SMB theme, but with Japanese instruments.
- Fortunate Son (Creedence Clearwater Revival) I forget why I thought to dig this one up.
- End of the Line (The Traveling Wilburys) Brings up that 90s case. The song Melissa thinks of first when I'm trying to describe George Harrisons "I Got My Mind Set on You"
- Up to Me (Bob Dylan). Penn Jillette like this one. There's surprisingly little Bob Dylan in my collection.
- Closer (feat. Halsey) (The Chainsmokers) Found out about this via Slate's series on current #1 hits. I like the description "For the first 10 seconds, the song sounds like it’s building to something monumental: thundering piano chords, sweeping synth washes, and a swelling echo like you’re down in a vast ravine. And then, at 0:11 … click. It all switches off like a lamp—a finger-snap and a meek 'Hey' "
- Polkarama! ("Weird Al" Yankovic) Polka parties are now my favorite type of Weird Al.
- Give It Away and Black Or White (Dick Brave & The Backbeats) Favorite genre: Germans pretending to be American Country or Rockabilly cover bands.
- Try to Remember (Isabelle Georges) (link is not the version I found on iTunes) - I think this song from "The Fantasticks" is getting a lot of play after being in Marvel's "Civil War"
- Bizarre Love Triangle (2014 Remaster) (Frente!) This is a song I did a cappella at Tufts... come to think of it it may have been inspired by this version.
- Masterpiece (Clarence Reid) Nice R+B.
- In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (Neutral Milk Hotel) Really just love the line "Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all"
- Call Your Girlfriend (Erato) There was a video with Emma Stone and Maya Rudolph doing a similar "butter tubs" cover of this song, but it generally got removed. This version is a fine substitute.
Best daytime firework I've seen!