4-star-ers in red; I feel like I might have been a little too generous. A ton of youtube rips - which is always my last resort, I'd rather pay and also get a good quality product, but sometimes you got to take what you can get. Arranged in rough descending "maybe you should check this out!" order...
- Que Sera Sera (Last Dance) (Marita Dyson) Ripped this off youtube because sadly there doesn't seem to be a full version available, but this one minute clip is kind of perfect, despite the voiceover. Trigger warning, though, if you ever had a relative in palliative care at home, it will make you cry.
- Make Out (Julia Nunes) Lovely little paean to making out. Love the rhythm of "You're an open book / But I can't read you / Start the countdown 'til I lose it... / Three Two.... / One, I'm Done, I'm Dead..."
- Yodelling (Franzl Lang) Ripped from Youtube. Classic instance of me not being afraid to like music I like! The rhythm of it is has some terrific syncopation.
- Star Wars Medley (Jimmy Fallon The Roots & Star Wars: The Force Awakens) Youtube rip! Love this and how they have the actors singing the appropriate good guy / bad guy part, especially Adam Driver on the Imperial March
- Love Yourself (Justin Bieber) Another challenge of not being afraid of liking music I like. The lyrics are a bit sophomoric, but I love the sparse arrangement and this video is fantastic, I really love the stop and go pas de deux of it.
- Down (Marian Hill) This is from the Apple Airpods commercial I guess? Anyway, spare and lovely, with a cool use of electronic distortion.
- You're Dead (Norma Tanega) Another youtube rip - this was playing at the end credits for "What We Do in the Shadows"
- Anyone Who Knows What Love Is (Will Understand) (Irma Thomas) Sweet song, I think it is its role in a Black Mirror episode that really cemented it for me.
- House Of The Rising Sun (Heavy Young Heathens feat. The Nashville United First Baptist Vocal Assembly) Nice use of chorus. Tempted to arrange this for the honk band.
- Time in a Bottle (Demo) (Jim Croce) This is less glossy than the regular album version. But it's the muppet version that has my heart.
- Check Me Out (Little Denise) Great Motown beat and horns.
- Bukowski (Modest Mouse) My first Modest Mouse song, though I feel like their name comes up a lot. Anway, always fond of a good literary and/or blasphemous reference.
- Boogie Shoes (KC and the Sunshine Band) Simple and funky.
- Hey Good Lookin' (Hank Williams) Kristin rocked this at a recent house karaoke party
- Hannibal Buress (Morpheus Dorpheus) Another youtube rip. I feel like this was a drunken "you can't rhyme anything with morpheus" challenge.
- I'm Yours (Jason Mraz) Sounds too much like too many other ukulele songs.
- Chain Hang Low (Jibbs) I'm a little too fond of kids songs shoved into hiphop, but it's a catchy melody.
- Classical Music Mashup (Grant Woolard) Greatest hits artfully put together! Melissa does not get why I'll tolerate MIDI-ish music...
- Welcome to Atlanta (Jermaine Dupri) I grabbed this from some the work chatroom about the upcoming football championship. Not the greatest hiphop, but the videos kinda fun.
- Quicksand (Single Stereo) (Martha Reeves & The Vandellas) About as generic a "Wall of Sound" song as you can get, but not bad.
Playing at a rally today, Safe Communities Coalition Against the Travel Ban
It is the arrogance of every age to believe that yesterday was calm.