Decent month for me finding music, especially for funk and r+b. As usual in descending "man you should hear this!" order, with stuff I called 4 stars instead of 3 in red...
August 2, 2017
- Joshua Fit The Battle Of Jericho (Coleman Hawkins / Major Holley) Haruki Murakami's story Kino: "Kino sat on a stool and listened to the Coleman Hawkins LP with the track 'Joshua Fit the Battle of Jericho.' He found the bass solo by Major Holley amazing." It starts at 5:20 or so, a bowed solo with singing that makes it other worldly.
- I Smell Smoke (Mystikal) I really dig Mystikal's voice so I looked for more of it. In this funny little slice of (gangster) life song, I really, really, really love the onomatopoeia for knocking ... "DHOONK DHOONK DHOONK DHOONK" is so much better than "knock knock knock", and in fact I think the entire song is built around that as a rhythmic phrase.
- Runs In the Family (Amanda Palmer) Man, I've never heard a song talking about emotional illness so powerfully.
- Hey Hi Hello (feat. Fran Hall) (Hollywood Wildlife) from "Orange is the New Black", good percussion.
- Hey Hey Hey (Hollywood Wildlife) Another great percussion one by the same folk, and while I'm not a My Little Pony fan I do kind of love the GIF someone put with it.
- Knockin' (Carolina Chocolate Drops & Luminescent Orchestrii) I guess I prefer the silkiness of the version by L.O. alone compared to the scratchiness of this one, but it's still such a good song.
- jonesiver (Nick Lutsko) Alex "Info Wars" Jones insane rants as a Bon Over song. It's amazing how what a nice sound it is.
- (Do The) Push and Pull, Pt. 1 (Rufus Thomas) A trailer for HBO's new series "The Deuce" used this. Great R+B.
- Shining Star (Earth, Wind & Fire) Can't front on these guys! Sound guy played this song at a JP Art gig.
- Brighter Than the Sun (Colbie Caillat) Another wedding song. So bright and cheerful, and also a great percussion sound.
- Twentysomething (Jamie Cullum) Melissa introduced me to this kinda smart smooth song - nice art student video.
- Goody Two Shoes (Adam Ant) I've always liked this song but never knew it very well.
- Hair Up (Justin Timberlake, Gwen Stefani & Ron Funches) Good sounding club pop from an insipid looking movie... but I like that it samples "Hall of the Mountain King".
- Wonderwall (Paul Anka) Lounge cover.
- Open Up Your Heart (And Let the Sunshine In) (The Wright's) On the Flintstones Pebbles and Bamm Bamm sang this song. Thinking about the lyrics too deeply, I'm not sure if it has great advice for people who might be struggling with depression ("smilers never lose, and frowners never win", along with talk about "the devil".)
- The Winker's Song (Misprint) (Ivor Biggun) Goofy novelty song. Heard about it in news stories about a radio station pirate that loves this song
- I Want Stacy's Mom (Fountains of Wayne vs. Lena Horne vs. The Wiseguys vs. Karen Young) (G3RSt) Kind of a weaker mashup, just Stacy's Mom plus decent percussion for the most part.
I don't mind that people wallow in ignorance, I just wish they wouldn't splash so much.
Great point that rings true - Trever Noah: Donald Trump Is Everything People Thought A Black President Would Be