Descending order of "you gotta here this", 4-star stuff in red.
September 3, 2017
- You Don't Want to Go to War (Rebirth Brass Band & Soulja Slim) Second Line Social Aid & Pleasure Society brought this Rebirth Brass Band to BABAM!s set at the "Free Speech" Counter-Rally.
- How To Make A Blockbuster Movie Trailer (Auralnauts) Love this, and the "creepy female vocal cover of pop hit" in it...
- Glorious (feat. Skylar Grey) (Macklemore) Seeing him dance around with his 100 year old grandmother is great, and the choral use is terrific too.
- Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video: 2nd Attempt (Mike Polk, Jr) Liked this a few years ago, finally decided to rip it. "Don't slow down in East Cleveland, or you'll die"
- Circle Be Unbroken (Zylawy Brothers) I do have a soft spot for old churchy songs
- Chelsea Hotel No 2 (Lana Del Rey) I'm not sure if this cover really reveals anything new about the original, but Lana Del Rey's syrupy voice is lovely..
- Chant: 13th Hour (Redbone) Interesting Native American group that (suspiciously?) had more success in Europe than here. I do dig songs that bring in historically native acoustic elements...
- I Like It (Foxy Shazam) It's kind of Queen revisited.
- That's Love (Oddisee) Nice bit of hiphop.
- Marmalade (feat. Lil Yachty) (Macklemore) I have mixed feelings about 4-starring 2 Macklemore songs in a month.
- Bling Bling (Junglepussy) Raunchy, feminist in its way.
- (For God's Sake) Give More Power to the People (The Chi-Lites) Such a weird opening sound. Also, I love clips from Soul Train.
- Theme from "Enter the Dragon" (Main Title) (Lalo Schifrin) Finally watched this movie...
- Guaglíone (Pérez Prado and His Orchestra) School of Honk just added this mambo...
- Runs In the Family (The Roches) This was mentioned by Tom when I listed Amanda Palmer's song of the same name last month.
- Got to Get You Into My Life (Earth, Wind & Fire) I always like Tufts' Amalgamates cover... but didn't realize it was a straight forward cover of this version, not a very smart cover of the Beatles...
- Something's Got a Hold on Me (1961 Single) (Etta James) Great old R+B
"trump promising $5 million for president obama's birth certificate but only $1 million to hurricane victims is as on-brand as you can get"