March 2, 2018Kind of a light month last month... bestest stuff in red.
- Too Many Rappers (New Reactionaries Version) [feat. Nas] (Beastie Boys & Nas) Sonically rich... striking and melancholy that MCA revised his verse with lines like "Stay up all night, and I MC and never die / Cause death is the cousin of sleep" to "Like a Nexus-6, comin' home to roost"
- Soul Bossa Nostra (feat. Ludacris, Naturally 7 & Rudy Currence) (Quincy Jones) Heard about this album in those recent interviews he's been doing - fun version of a song School of Honk does.
- Bang! Bang! (The Knux) These guys deserve a lot more attention, amazing flow.
- Sanford and Son (feat. T.I., B.o.B., Prince Charlez & Mohombi) (Quincy Jones) like Soul Bossa Nostra - finally looked it up, that amazing didgeridoo-like sound from the original is a bass harmonica
- Ding Dang (From "Munna Michael") (Javed Mohsin, Amit Mishra & Antara Mitra) Looking for Brian Wilson I found Bollywood, and how.
- Do You Love Me (Single) (The Contours) So popular when I was high school (I guess because of "Dirty Dancing", I was surprised it hadn't made it into my collection before this...
- So Long (Fats Domino) I think Alan Freed played this as a farewell when his pioneering rock and roll radio show was shut down
- Blood Makes Noise (Suzanne Vega) Missed this song back in the day.
- Want It Back (Amanda Palmer & The Grand Theft Orchestra) Great video, and not just because of the nakedness
- Ain't I (Lizzo) Raw.
- Opps (Vince Staples, Yugen Blakrok) Hiphop the "Black Panther" sound track.
- Which Side Are You On? (The Freedom Singers) Looked for a version, something BABAM might want to put in their playlists.
- The Jabari, Pt. II (Ludwig Goransson) Cinematic stuff from the "Black Panther" sound track.
- Space Lord (Monster Magnet) Southern rock, I guess?
- When My Dreamboat Comes Home (Mr. Boogie Woogie) Looked for this song when New Magnolia was going to do it. Mixed feelings that the version I picked turned out to be so Dutch...
I'm not the biggest basketball fan but Lebron's nutmeg and James Harden's "what are you doing" stare were both pretty great
"From the makers of I Can't Believe It's Not ButterTM, Introducing:
-It Might Be Bread
-Let's Just Say It's Cream Cheese
-It Almost Tastes Like Jam
-Sure, it's 'Maple Syrup'
-Smells A Bit Like Eggs"
"I never knew a blacksmith who was in love with his hammer."
--Max Wilkinson. (Vonnegut cites that after Renata Adler defining a writer as somebody who hates to write.)