As usual, in roughly descending "you should hear this" order, 4 star stuff in red.
November 2, 2018
- Love You So (Bleu) Honestly I think I heard this in like an E-bay commercial, but I love it, from its sound to its lyrics: like some smart woman once said, "Relationship = hamster. If you dissect it to see if there are any anomalies... you'll know for sure, but you won't have a hamster anymore."
- Afterglow (Wilkinson) Really really charming relationship video...
- The Purge (Hopsin) Love this hiphop flow - and a haunting video...
- Long Way to Texas (Mountain Soul) Song from a local group I sat in with "It's a long way to Texas, a long long way to Texas - but I'm hea-a-a-a-a-d-ing - I'm heading to Vermont!"
- So What (Studio Sequence 1) (Miles Davis) I've been really into the philosophy of So What lately, but wasn't sure I wanted the whole long jazz track on my playlist - this studio sequence is interesting, you hear a lot of audio engineer Fred Plaut, one of those side characters who are also an artist in their own right.
- Piece of My Heart (Erma Franklin) The original was cleaner and more motown than Joplins, by Aretha's older sister.
- Bad Luck (Neko Case) Melissa and I are going to see her soon, don't know much about her stuff, but this song was made after her house burned down....
- Where You Are (Cali Swag District) Found this on a Youtube playlist of Lyric Videos, a genre I find interesting. Nice Jackson-5 vibe.
- Something Different (Katastrophe) Song my a transman, seen on "The L Word"
- You're standing on my neck (Splendora) Hey remember Daria?
- I've Got Money (James Brown & The Famous Flames) Questlove mentions Clayton Fillyau's drumming on this James Brown B-side...
- R.E.D. (feat. Yasiin Bey, Narcy & Black Bear) (A Tribe Called Red) I always love this group's use of traditional indigenous people sounds, kind of meh about the rappers in this one.
- I'd Rather Go Blind (Single Version) (Etta James) Soulful
- Monster Mash (Bobby "Boris" Pickett & The Crypt-Kickers) JP Honk plays this every halloween...
- Cocaine (J.J. Cale) Old groove, I remember being scandalized by this song in the 80s.
- You Don’t Know My Heart (Janis Ian) Early gentle LGTBQ song, mentioned in a Spider Robinson short story.
- Splish Splash (Bobby Darin) More retro fun.
- Cissy Strut (The Meters) Another song that keeps popping up in bands I'm in
- Backtail Was Heavy (Lone) Drum and Bass or some such
- Chica Chica Boom Chic (Carmen Miranda) This song hows up in "Shape of Water"
- John Henry (Woody Guthrie) Americana
ZeFrank's Guide to post-Halloween Candy Trading:
I'd like to see an Epic Rap Battle of Brownie the Elf (short-lived mascot of the Cleveland Browns) and the Celtics' Lucky the Leprechaun but it seems kind of unfair from the outset.