Pretty good month for new music! Felt really packed. A lot of hiphop. List below is newest first, 4 star stuff in red.
July 2, 2019
Diane said her primary interest is where I discover new music, so I tried to keep closer track. Not sure if there are real surprises- soundtracks (esp commercials/trailers and HBO shows), random tweets, tumblr entries, personal recommendations, youtube recommendations, or random impulses.
- Love the Way You Lie (feat. Rihanna) (Eminem) I've been listening to Rick + Morty's co-creator's 2011 podcast, "Grandma's Virginity Podcast", and this song came up. I love the big boom percussion it uses, and the Rihanna chorus, some of the lyrics are hard to listen to.
- O-O-H Child (The Five Stairsteps) One of the groups at a Cora's dance recital played this. Hoping to tap into the optimism.
- Systematic (feat. Nas) (DJ Shadow) Catching up on "Silicon Valley" that has some of the best end credits hiphop.
- Tainted Love (Pomplamoose) Youtube has learned that I love me some Pomplamoose, so this recommendation came up.
- Christine's Tune (Aka Devil In Disguise) (The Flying Burrito Brothers) Some random tweet. Partially I just like saying "Flying Burrito Brothers", and the twang in general.
- On a Roll (Ashley O) I love the subversion of turning Head Like a Hole into bubblegum pop, and I love the sound of the result. (see the shirt below too...)
- Black Suits Comin' (Nod Ya Head) (Will Smith & TRÂ-Knox) Slate had a movie raps over closing credits article and mentioned this "vaguely nu-metalish" example.
- All Through the Night (Anna Nalick) Her Breathe (2am) is so good, I wanted to hear her second best song
- The One Moment (OK Go) - I was seeing something about Rube Goldberg machines, and this group is the master of that kind of video...
- Man of La Mancha (I, Don Quixote) (Brian Stokes Mitchell & Ernie Sabella) Saw "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote" so this song was in my head - fun sing along.
- Ronald McDonald vs the Burger King (Epic Rap Battles of History) A youtube subscription, one of the better sounding ones in a while, except for the author-self-insert.
- Take Me to Church (Hozier Cover) (Neon Jungle) Tumblr pointed me to this beautiful cover- I had to persuade some UK friends to grab me an MP3 though - hate those weird country restrictions!
- Right Place, Wrong Time (Dr. John) Got to see him in concert, but I wanted something else to mark his passing... this one has such an interesting sound to start with.
- Space Cadet (Sesame Street's David) Had this 33 as a kid - funky little disco bit with that great "comin' to the rescue" hook, and I love David's enthusiasm unpacking his space cadet gear. (Weirdly I stole the name for this for my repackaging of the theme from Moon Patrol...)
- Funkier Than a Mosquita's Tweeter (Ike & Tina Turner) Melissa suggested me this bit o' funk
- Tomboy (Princess Nokia) Someone on twitter linked - "my little titties and my fat belly" refrain skirts that line between self-empowerment and exploitation...
- The Story of O.J. (JAY-Z) A lot of the N-word, but man - this cartoon is amazing and difficult, in going over the racist types from pop-culture. (also, that, "he's like 'I'm not black, I'm OJ!' ......ok" is amazing)
- Doin' Time (Lana Del Rey) Melissa didn't know the original Gershwin reference, and I didn't get it was a Sublime cover....
- Prince Ali (Will Smith) I'd sought out a version of this song before - just love its big brass approach, and Will Smith's throaty genie adds to it, especially the ending section.
- (Jesus Hits Like the) Atom Bomb (The Blind Boys of Alabama) I'm fascinated, scared, and titillated by the apocalyptic side of religion - this one comparing Jesus' return to a bunch of nukes is especially catchy.... (also I think the Blind Boys of Alabama are one of the longest running groups of all times.)