Quote and Link of the Moment
So let America increase the pace of this conflict or decrease it, and we will respond in kind.Part of that recent audiotape...but the part you probably hadn't heard. This article explains how by seeing Osama as evil, and only evil, we are putting ourselves in more danger that we would be in otherwise. Bush's "you're either good or evil" viewpoint is so, so, so tragically stupid. Osama sees himself as good, and so do a lot of Arabs. He uses tactics that we find reprehensible, but targeting civilians is the strongest way he has of getting our attention, and he feels that we've (accidentally or on purpose...I don't think it matters that much to him) been responsible for the deaths of enough Arab civilians that there's a justification there.
Counterpoints: I think this articles idea of promoting a mutual standdown misses the way that there's been so much water under the bridge, they might feel that any 'spectacular attack' going into the future is 'justified'. Plus, the logic is if you seem to be able to be pressured by terrorism, that might lead to terrorism being seen as more of a useful, and therefore more widely used, tool.
Backlog Flush #3
Still from the end of last year...
eenie meenie gypsa-leenie oo bop bop shaleenie ever rotchy ever crotchy I like youI don't know the name of the current Prime Minister of Germany, but I have the brain cells for this.
Games lubricate the body and the mind.
- There's been a huge spike in the number of autistic kids in Silicon Valley. Given how so much hardcore geek behavior resembles autism, could this be because of geeks forming families in hugely concentrated numbers? Or something environmental with all the chips manufactured there?
It makes me sick when I see a guy just watching it go out of boundsI saw this on a poster in what is now a bedroom, and was once the son's bedroom in the house Mo and I now own.
I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them.
- Salon asks that musical question, "Woman's Football: Ready for Prime Time?"
- I managed to track down the Usenet source of one of my favorite evil paraphrases, Thumper being mauled by the wise old owl: "No no- not my eyes! Great God of Rabbits, how that hurts!" It's a funny story.
- Tetris has a website. And the animation on its front page is just so cute!
- A geek article on why you shouldn't rewrite software projects from scratch. An interesting idea and well-written, but I'm not sure if I agree.
run away with me
and then what be with me
And our kisses were like chewing dynamite.