backlog flush #42
March 20, 2004
- Things My Girlfriend and I Have Argued About...a funny funny website, and also the FUNNIEST book I read in 2003. I can't wait until his next book is released stateside in May.
- I've only worked a little bit of retail, but I've been witness to enough stupid scenes to realize Customers Suck!
- The All Sports Band...cheesiest gimmick band ever?
- I made a note how I wanted to mention how it's possible to weirdly program yourself with slogans...one time, at band camp (literally) I was determined to have the worst time. I had just moved, was a miserable preadolescent, and didn't want be at camp. All through the camp I told myself "I hate everything about this place.". At the end of the week, during the final concert, something annoyed me, and I started thinking "I hate..." and my brain automagically filled in "everything about this place". That kind of scared me.
- Bring Back Kirk! Bring Back Kirk! Bring Back Kirk!
"I'll turn yer groin into puddin'!"
"Och, you speak like a poet...but y' punch like one tew!"
--Groundkeeper Seamus and Groundkeeper Willy on The Simpsons
- Artsy Sci-Fi Puzzle game. Love the music, not crazy about the genre. LAN3 recommends fullscreening the browser window, and people on metafilter recommended cranking up the monitor brightness.
- Top 15 Biblical Ways To Acquire A Wife. I always thought Jacob had the rawest deal. ("Agree to work seven years in exchange for a woman's hand in marriage. Get tricked into marrying the wrong woman. Then work another seven years for the woman you wanted to marry in the first place.")
- NPR had an interview with the author of "The Falling Man" (last link on the page), about some almost repressed photos of people forced to jump from the World Trade Center, and one man in particular who seemed to embrace his fate.
- Memory's A Traitor...Mary Anne Mohanraj writes some amazing stuff.