So, this Memorial day hopefully I should be a busy little bee packing packing packing. So I'm writing this now, Sunday night...thought I'd catch everyone up on the gory details of my life. (Enough with the interesting links and quotes and content...lets talk about me!)
May 31, 2004
- Remember my plan to kind of merge alienbill.com and kisrael.com to kirkjerk.com ? That plan is still on, but rather than having it at kirkjerk.com, I grabbed another domain...mortals.be! Snazzy, huh? The cool(ish) part is, in a few days the entire domain "lord.what.fools.these.mortals.be" should work, all pointing to my main site. (Sawers came up with the idea of getting into the .be domain for this...brilliant!)
The domain works on a few levels for me. One is the obvious fool aspect, and how that ties in with the general goofiness of my daily site. The second is how the "mortals" concept reflects my mortality guide, and sounds kind of existential even by itself. Finally, the photo at the current site gives a special meaning to the quote for me...it's my (now deceased) dad making moose antlers underneath a statue of Puck inscribed with that phrase.
- Here's a photo from the inside of my new apartment. It's the size, location, and price of the apartment that makes it terrific...I'm not crazy about the wood paneling on half the wall, or the carpets, but hey. When was the kind of paneling popular, anyway? Also the top part is a relatively dark beige, not as light as it could be.
One of the things I don't like about being single is second opinions...should I see if I could repaint the beige wall? How about the wood? Or would that just be goofy?
Of course, part of the problem is I never did take enough of an interest in this stuff when I was with Mo. I coulda learned somethin'.
- I mentioned the makeover I'm trying to put myself through...one related thing is I've stopped stuffing my pockets with cellphone, camera, palm pilot and started carrying a bag all the time, a coolish canvas courier bag from Old Navy. I say I'm carrying a "man purse", though I should stop doing about it, because the whole "self-deprecating humor" thing isn't doing it's job of short-circuting other people's jokes...sigh.
- My beloved Honda Civic is aging. When I graduated college I said to myself I'd let myself get a new car but I should try to get 10 years out of it...so far its been 8 years, 95,000 miles. And, dangerously, I'm dreaming of Mini Coopers. I want something that's easy to park, and less likely to repel chicks than a 8-year-old Honda Civic. And, assuming everything stays on course with the house, I will have the money kicking around for it...and while I don't need a car quite as nice as that, and could probably go for a while with good ol' Kermit, I will need another car sooner or later...
- I'm feeling some distinct pangs of lonely this weekend. It was a great help when Sawers came over the other night, helped with some packing, played a few games. (And took some candles I didn't want off my hands for Cordelia, and also some material for making his cool decorated boxes.) And I see Peterman and Leslee an awful lot, and that's great. But now more than ever I feel I need to be proactive about arranging get-togethers. One thing I noticed in summarizing older entries in my mundane journal is how many fun cookouts Mo and I. Those were great times, a few friends over, some chiken kabobs and/or sweet corn on the grill, some games, somes boozing, some shmoozing.