So I started loading up kirkjerk.com/mortals.be with the stuff I would've been posting here had the site not been down...came up with some fun links in the interim.
July 16, 2004
- "Jesus, it's like the Illuminati sprouted a Housewares Department."
--Scott Lynch on the comments for this article about how the Zeitgeist palette /popular color schemes are pretty much dictated by an industry trade group. I wonder how big an impact it has on people like me who pretty much stick with basics from Old Navy. (Like I quoted in...Yikes, 2000 -- "nobody sells any damn normal shirts anymore"
- Via Bill, it's the top 10 Dumb Moments in Sci-Fi Cinema (and why they generally don't matter that much.)
- "And it looks to me as though everyone in Civilization is operating
heavy machinery every day, by our standards. That time when the
guy stops at the barber for a shave, I bet it is with the atomic
clipper, which by a million tiny rays of incomprehensibly powerful
fourth-order radiation annihilates the hair microscopically straight
down to the root. So horrific were the energies concentrated upon
every follicle, that it not only was vapourised, but each particle was
individually propelled into nega-space without leaving even one
atom of vapour to trouble the hair's owner; and yet the energies
were in perfect balance - the customer being shaved felt not even
the slightest sensation of warmth upon the skin - as, indeed, he
would not feel it if the balancing bar were misaligned, and the
Titanic force misdirected to blow his head into tiny pieces, and, a
moment later too small to measure, the barber shop and the
entire city, also. Yet such was the reputation of the Engineers of
Civilization that not once had this happened anywhere on the
--Ryk "Sea Wasp" Spoor in rec.arts.sf.written talking about "Civilization" in E. E. "Doc" Smith's "Lensmen" books...florid but fun old-school sci-fi that inspired the game "Spacewar!"--Spoor really captures the feel of 'em.
- Buck Truck, The Rappin' Trucker is about as bad as it sounds, but was kind of an interesting insight into a different subculture.
- If you want your childhood corrupted forever...DECEPTICONSORT is nothing but Transformer porn. Weird. I mean, do robots like that even need thingies?
- The Onion's A.V. Club offers Hollyblog, "A helpful guide to celebrity web logs".
- This kinda disturbing story about Middle Eastern men behaving oddly on an airplane was poo-poo'd by the Metafilter folk who pointed to a Ann Coulter swing, but I admit I'd be freaked out a bit if I saw the events as described. That's the thing...the American populous is told to keep our eyes open for suspcious stuff, but we have NO idea what's really suspicous.
- Porn minus the People. Odd stuff...pretty seedy though sometimes it's hard to explain quite why.