Like I made after last summer and the fall, here is a list of the music I discovered or rediscovered and added into my collection over December through February.
March 8, 2010
(I like putting the new music in really heavy notation for a while, so it becomes more a part of my life than it would otherwise before going into the mix with the 2,000 other songs I deem iPod-worthy.)
So, most interesting is the (fairly?) new music I ran into: 3 cheers for Shazam and its ability to ID a tune, and 3 cheers for friends who keep me in mind in their own musical journeys and send me sugestions - or sometimes it's just "making the rounds" online.
- Handlebars (Flobots) - posted this one a while back
- This Too Shall Pass and This Two Shall Pass Live (Ok Go) - both great videos, and I love the marching band stuff...
- The Fear (Lily Allen)
- Samson (Regina Spektor) - man, I'm really digging the stuff of both of these women as of late
- Sweet Child O' Mine (Sheryl Crow)
- Baby Love Child (Pizzicato Five)
- That's Not My Name (The Ting Tings)
- Humdinger (Chucklehead) - Obscure-ish band that was a bit popular around Tufts when I started college there in the early 1990s. Surprised to find it on Amazon
- Criminal (Fiona Apple)
- Don't Speak (No Doubt)
- Happy Birthday (Weird Al Yankovic)
- Extreme Ways (Moby)
- Jessie's Girl (Rick Springfield)
- Jesse's Girl (Matt the Electrician)
- 99 Red Balloons (Nena)
- Sunny (Rhett Miller) - couldn't find a video - I guess this wasn't the original like I thought it was, but it's nice
- Sunny (Boney M) nice disco version is what the movie had...
- Brand New Key (Melanie)
- [You Make Me Feel Like] A Natural Woman (Aretha Franklin)
- The Dutchman (Steve Goodman)
- Suddenly Last Summer (2002 Digital Remaster) (The Motels)
- Because I Got High (Afroman)
- Ridin' (Chamillionaire)
- White & Nerdy (Parody of "Ridin'" by Chamillionaire featuring Krayzie Bone) (Main Version) ("Weird Al" Yankovic)
- Rebirth of Slick (Cool Like Dat) (Digable Planets)
- Nickel Bags (Digable Planets)
- Straight Outta Compton (N.W.A.)
- Hard Knock Life (Jay-Z)
- Get Ur Freak On (Missy Elliott)
- B.O.B. (Outkast)
- Fight The Power (Public Enemy)
- We Trying To Stay Alive (Wyclef Jean featuring Refugee Allstars)
- Finally there were a few remixes that I tracked down when the countdown said Peaches and Tone-Loc were touring together...
- My Name Is
- Lose Yourself
- Without Me
- Like Toy Soldiers
- The Real Slim Shady
- Guilty Conscience
- Stan (Feat. Dido
- Shake That (Feat. Nate Dogg)
- dance of the sugar plum fairy (santa)
- jingle bells (santa)
- Beyonce (HARVEYJAMESTM ft. Mary Burgers)
There is no safety in numbers, or in anything else.
iPhone's Visual Voicemail raised the bar, but if Apple was really smart they'd stop showing a separate "missed call" if the caller left voicemail-- it's annoying to have to check two lists. Heck, even an answering machine knows better than that.
It occurs to me that when my cat licks me, I don't know whether that means I'm delicious or filthy.
http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html - B.F. Skinner, patron saint of video games. Scary stuff, I don't feel so bad about playing so few games these days. Plus, I know "novelty" is what I'm really looking for. Well, that, and the ability to fly a helicopter around.
I guess twitter gmail et al. are my skinner boxes of choice. At least their pellets are based on novelty!