Somewhat anemic February, music-wise, though I was glad to figure out how to tape songs off of youtube in a reasonable way... (chronological order, 4-star songs in red)
March 2, 2019
- Mary Jane's Last Dance (Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers) Good song, but the whole "Gotta keep movin'" followed a few beats later by "...on. Keep movin' on" is endearingly dorky in an 80s/90s kind of way
- Sally (Gogol Bordello) (video is the live version) Sally is 15 (Mary Jane was 18) - Anyway, Gogol Bordello is a special energy in protest music. I didn't know Nebraska would have Gypsy travelers tho...
- Girls Will Be Girls (Sophie Beem) Probably heard in "Bad Moms" - like the big bass drum percussion.
- "Kansas City Shuffle" (J. Ralph) Cool 70s vibe to this one.
- Karma (The Black Eyed Peas) Not my favorite Black Eyed Peas, but they really have a great and distinct studio sound.
- Rock Lobster (The B-52's) grabbed this when School of Honk started doing it. I admit it's probably my least favorite of the well-known B-52 songs ,but still pretty good. And fun to play.
- Love Has All Been Done Before (Jade Bird) Arun pointed me to this sweet indie style song.
- Trap Nig**z (Boyz N Da Hood) Forget where I ran into this, but the slow groove is pretty good.
- You Make My Dreams (Daryl Hall & John Oates) One of those songs I like, a bit, but never had.
- We Ready (NFL Playoffs) This month I figured out a setup to record right off of youtube- I always want to pay for music, but some stuff you know will never be released, like this minute track of a high school (I think) team singing "We Ready", from an NFL playoffs commercial
- Siri ! What is 1 Trillion to the 10th Power There are a few videos using Siri going "Zero Zero Zero" as a beat, but the India-music this puts over it makes it my favorite.
- Ooh La La (Faces) Another, oh yeah, I kind of like that song ... I liked the chorus "wish I knew then what I knew now" before realizing it had that "women and their evil ways" vibe.
- bury a friend (Billie Eilish) Spooky, horror vibe to this one.
- Gotta Get Up (Harry Nilsson) Like everyone I rediscovered this song on the Netflix series "Russian Doll"...
It seems odd that two tropes for the clearness of the eyes - "gimlet-eyed" and "limpid pools"- both sound a bit like the opposite of what they mean.
A cucumber - like, either end of an english cucumber - wrapped in a tortilla, and with some jalapeno mustard, has a remarkable tastiness and texture and nutrition (well, at least lack of un-nutrition) to fuss ratio, seriously off the charts.