Dang it. I'm having backlog issues. In switching to a intraday update style, I have this huge backlog that's never going to get used, and prevents me from using the backlog tool properly. Most of it's not stellar, or else I would've used it already...but much of it is still worth looking at. So:
November 17, 2002
- Red Robot is an interesting concept, showing up in many media, bent on destroying all hu-mans. (unfortunately, all the local files on that page have been removed.) He has his own decent video game and is a regular character on Diesel Sweeties
- Hey, I had this cool Star Wars case/big gun when I was in middle school! Great for playacting. I let the actors at the Cleveland Heights Dobama Theater Marilyn Bianchi Kids' Playwriting Festival use it when they did the play I wrote ("Starpox") and then forgot to retrieve it after, sigh.
- The Foresight Exchange lets you invest in certain predictions, like "US attacks Iraq in a year" to "1000 Tons per Year from Space Mining by 2040". Sort of a Prophecy Stock Market.
- Sadie Benning made some indy-famous films using Barbie and the Fisher Price Pixelvision camera that used regular audio tapes to store pictures. The Pixelvision is highly sought after, and appeals to my spirit of obsolete imaging technology.
- About a year ago (when all this backlog comes from) someone signing themselves "abradagis" wrote "hallo 1996" in my guestbook. I have no idea what this means.
- A Story About 'Magic'. I think every computer should have a switch labeled 'Magic' and 'More Magic'. From an Appendix to the Hacker's Jargon File, which also has the entertaining Story of Mel.
- A great song from Usenet about English accents, Supercockneyrhymingnasalwhiningandstopsglottal!
- Huh...looks like Japanese bondage porn with all the ropework kinda might kinda sorta have evolved from the Samurai art of Hojo Jitsu...a fun word to say.
- Well before the "second" Star Wars movie was released this summer, there was a petition to have Boba Fett be revealed to be a woman. I guess they were thinking of another famous scifi female bounty hunter, Samus Aran of Metroid fame.
- "At the risk of stating the obvious, I'll point out that there is no such thing as the last word on usenet." -- Deborah from this alt.fan.cecil-adams Usenet post.
Link of the Moment
I saw a photo of one Michael Jackson removed his surgical mask in court recently, how the rumors of "his nose falling off" are true. Couldn't find a good link, then memepool.com linked to a Photographic History of Michael Jackson's Face. Man. I feel sorry for the guy...he really has issues.
Political Jab of the Moment
"We've got to act fast! - Saddam's got weapons of mass destruction!"
"Does he intend to use them?"
"There's one way to find out!"