October 10, 2006
Hearing about the Detroit Lions right after the Tigers beat the Yankees, it got me thinking, how many cities have coordinated teams? I made up a list of all the NFL, MLB, NHL,and NBA teams and sorted it alphabetically to gather the cities, and came up with:
- Atlanta features the Falcons, Hawks, and Thrashers (a type of bird)
- Baltimore features the Orioles and Ravens- this is one of my favorite connections, actually, one of the few bright spots of Baltimore stealing the Browns.
- Chicago has the Bears and the Cubs, another one I was already aware of
- Detroit has Lions and Tigers
- Colorado Avalanche and Rockies
- Dallas Cowboys and Mavericks
- Houston Astros and Rockets
Of course there might be more cool instances if teams didn't move around, leading to such dumb things as the New Orleans team moving and becoming the "Utah Jazz".
Quote of the Moment
"Confine your kissing to the irresistible."
--Sir Rudolf Bing, advice from when he was managing the Metropolitan Opera and there was a flu pandemic.
I love this photo
He was kind of an idol of mine, in a campy kind of way, but man did he have chops!
He's the only jazz musician I've made an effort to see live, twice, once at Daddy-O's and once at Ryles. His cover of Herbie Hancock's "Chameleon" is just the bomb-diggity.