June 18, 2010
So, it's once again time for me to post the 3,4, or 5 star music I added to my collection over the proceeding 3 months. I love how iDevices let me have a closer relation to my music, but I want to make sure new stuff doesn't get lost in the shuffle (so to speak) so every season I make a new playlist of just the new tunes that I listen to over and over so the songs have a fighting chance for long term familiarity with me.
I'm always amazed that I can find Youtube videos for all of this. I usually go for original version videos, but accept live when that's all there is. And, crazily enough, here I am, singing "Fat Bottomed Girls" at the sQ! alum show at Tufts' Goddard Chapel... Err, I'm in the back left, behind the really tall guy, popping out from time to time. The "first generation" Qs sang the first verse, I guess we were supposed to mosey forward but this was crazily under-rehearsed... (though Amber got to hear me listen to sQ's and Queen's version over and over as I tried to learn it on the way back from Cleveland.)
So, in other music... two songs got a 5 star Rating (50 songs out of around 1900)
- Back to Me (Kathleen Edwards) - cmg introduced me to this one- nice innuendo, and I love the dramatic tension between the confidence of the narrator and the scenario implied
- S.M.D.U. (feat. Blur Song 2) (Brock Landers) - I posted this video earlier, took me a while to hunt down the mix it came from
- Casimir Pulaski Day (Sufjan Stevens) - very bittersweet
- The Girl You Lost To Cocaine (Sia) -almost a 5, great sound
- Little Black Sandals (Sia) - Another great song except I keep thinking it's "Little Black Sambo"
- Hey, Soul Sister (Train) - this one keeps popping up random places
- Umbrella (Remix) (Rihanna featuring Lil Mama) - Favorite mix of the 4 or 5 versions Amber inherited.
- Hotel Song (Regina Spektor)
- Samson (Regina Spektor) --Regina has such a sweet sadness, she's one of my new favorite artists.
- Boyz (M.I.A.)
- 5 Years (Bjork) -like how this sounds like an Atari
- Blister In The Sun (Violent Femmes) -kind of a classic
- I Don't Live In A Dream (Jackie Greene)
- Black Swan (Thom Yorke)
- Into Dust (Mazzy Star)
- Fade Into You (Mazzy Star)-I might've heard Mazzy Star a long while back
- Cross Bones Style (Cat Power)
- Close To Me (Closer Mix) (The Cure)
- 1234 (Feist)
- 15 Step (Radiohead)
- Holding Out For A Hero (Bonnie Tyler)
- Holding Out For A Hero (Frou Frou) - Weirdly from the Shrek Soundtrack
- Keys to the City (Album) (The Go! Team)
- Doing It Right (The Go! Team)
- Lollipop [Squeak E. Clean & Desert Eagles Remix] (The Chordettes)
- Jolene (Dolly Parton)
- Local God (2004 Digital Remaster) (Everclear) - Romeo/Juliet
- What's The Attitude (Cut Chemist Featuring Hymnal)
- Sexy Bitch (Featuring Akon;explicit) (David Guetta - Akon) - I think Kjersten showed me this
- Suddenly Last Summer (The Motels) - My UU Group did a "most romantic song" event, this was one of the member's bit of cheesy 80s romance...
- P.I.M.P. [Explicit] (50 Cent) -- Actually I'm still kind of looking for the background mashup in this Penny Arcade drawing video
- Beautiful, Dirty, Rich (Lady Gaga) - I remember hearing this at FYE at Downtown Crossing...
Anyway, this is all some great music. Let me know if you want an MP3 of anything...
"I took a city that was known for pornography and licked it to a large extent."
--Republican presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani, on his job as mayor of NYC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNREP5l4xTw - anyone know what version of "P.I.M.P" is playing behind Penny Arcade's Gabe drawing Boba Fett?
Come to think of it, I'm kind of bummed none of the virtual drum sets I encounter have a "marching drumline" soundset with 4 distinct bass drums and quads.