Second Best Photos of 2009. Several years have had some bonus images thrown in, but 2009 was strong enough that I thought it could use its own runner-up gallery dozen.
August 2, 2016
Open Photo Gallery
With R+D we made a legion of homemade peeps and then puffed Totoros.
Ariana at the shore.
Amber with strawberries.
4th of July kayak.
Jane at Old Orchard Beach in Maine.
Me at Old Orchard Beach in Maine.
Amber at ICA.
Jack O' Lanterns at Sarah's.
Bonus: haunting child from Cozy Coupe box.
In its essence, technology is something that man does not control.
It was a rough month for me and iTunes; I realized that 180 or so songs were just gone, so I had to spend a lot of time digging them up from archives and what not. (and it's frustrating, because I'd prefer to use "smart" playlists based on "Added" dates, but iTunes doesn't let you backdate files.) Not sure what caused that; my dalliance with Apple Music, some bungling on my part, or what, but now I'm out to be a lot more careful with my music collection.
4 stars in red.
- Cocaine (John Martyn) (Gin Wigmore) Strong cover.
- Love Train (The O'Jays) Nice R+B.
- Money (Pink Floyd) Pink Floyd lives in that gap in my teenage music experience; it's an ok song, despite the sound fx beat there's not a lot of rhythm to it.
- Know Your Presidents (Reggie Cous) Via tumblr... it's the presidents!
- Love Letter (To My Muse) (Paper Waves) Local group who did JP Porchfest, I know one of the members from School of Honk.
- Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours) (Stevie Wonder) Stevie Wonder also lives in that gap in my music background, but he's fantastic, I really like how he captures that old R+B and blended it to something so fresh.
- National Emblem March (Clemson University Marching Band) Heard this in Ocean Grove, decided to find a version with just brass, no strings.
- Devil Devil (MILCK) Nice dark song.
- GHWT Expert Bass - Rondo (Guitar Hero World Tour) Always like Rondo ala Turca, this is a fun version even with all the video game glitches in it.
- Track Suit (Minor Mishap Marching Band) School of Honk does this song. Love the percussion, kind of like DC's Go-Go rhythm.
- Formation (Beyoncé) Acoustically really interesting, and I love that "Lets get in formation / Lets get information" play, the subtle differences in the two lines.
- Shake Hands with Danger (Jim Stringer) You can get the original MP3 from the safety video MST3K was ripping on. It's catchy.
- Flashdance...What a Feeling (Yael Naim) Soft cover really brings out the beauty.