First off, you have to see this Betty Boop cartoon starring a rotoscoped Cab Calloway as Koko the Clown: Anyway, music I added to my playist last month, in rough descending order of "you should hear this", 4 star stuff in red.
June 2, 2017
- Immigrants (We Get the Job Done) (K'naan, Snow Tha Product, Riz MC & Residente) Super powerful hiphop from The Hamilton Mixtape - they were playing this before the May Day rally.
- Get Down In Formation (Beyoncé vs. Me & My Toothbrush vs. Kool & The Gang) (Happy Cat Disco) Just realized I'd missed some years of "Best of Booty" mashups.
- It's Not the Crime (Tower Of Power) "It's not the crime / It's not the thought / It's if you get caught" - Wait Wait Don't Tell Me used this as themed intermezzo music.
- My Turn (Czech Republic) (Martina Bárta) This slow sweet song is my favorite from Eurovision this year.
- Sing to Me (feat. Karen O) (Walter Martin) Amazingly sweet duet
- The Parting Glass (The Wailin' Jennys) An Irish song of departure, mentioned in this NY Times piece on euthanasia a man deciding on his exit so he could attend his own wake.
- One Monkey Don't Stop No Show (Big Maybelle) Tom Parmenter mentioned this in response to me talking about "Not my circus, not my monkeys"
- St. James Infirmary (Cab Calloway) Fantastic Betty Boop cartoon version...
- After You're Gone (Remastered) (Django Reinhardt) A group I didn't quite get to perform with for Somerville Porchfest did this - you can see the francophone woman who sang it in my 1 Second Every Day (May 9)
- Talk Dirty (feat. 2 Chainz) (Jason Derulo) There was that article Where Did All The Saxes Go that mentioned this as a recent example of quick riff sax, along with Macklemore.
- Hit 'Em High (The Monstars' Anthem) (B Real/Busta Rhymes/Coolio/LL Cool J/Method Man) Heard the Cavs played this before the one game the Celtics took from them.
- Subway Gawdz (Too Many Zooz) I was sick and missed seeing these guys live, alas.
- Work It Out (New Radio Edit) (Beyoncé) There's a 2006 Best of Booty mashup that I like a bit better, but this is good too.
- Lovely Day (Bill Withers) Melissa mentioned how much she loves this song.
- Dead Wrong (Star Wars Remix) (Richie Branson & Solar Slim) There's a mashup CD of Notorious BIG and Star Wars songs.
- GTA Liberty City Stories - Dark March (Danger Mouse & Ben Morfitt (SquidPhysics)) Bumper music from a video game I just realized they ported to iOS, nice italian themes
- The New Knife Game Song (Rusty Cage) I kind of wish the lyric was "And if I miss my fingers / I will start to bleed / But all the same I play this game / 'Cause it's what I need"
- Yodel It! (Romania) (Ilinca) Also from Eurovision: Yodel Rap
- Weed Star (Hash Mouth). "All Star" with all lyrics replaced with Snoop Dogg's "Smoke Weed Everyday".
- Uma Thurman (Fall Out Boy) Uh, it's a song, with the theme to the Munsters.