Just a few online tools I didn't have a better place for...source available upon request.
design and text layout tools
- invoice tool
- an absolutely trivial DIY invoice tool - fill the inputs (that look like text), then take a screen shot, or generate a link via the button at the bottom (mostly for coming back to it)
A simplistic tool to help make CSS text-mask overlays.
- Makes a block of text "fix-width" in HTML by adjust the font size of each line.
- A text design toy playing with negative space and figure-ground reversal.
- Experiment in faux-physical text pathing...
- Give a starting and stopping RGB hex code, and it will give you color steps in between.
- usa map shade charts
- Quick and dirty hack to use grayscale to fill in a map of the united states, like for plotting state-correlated data.
- convert tab delimted data to an html table or do a general line template. (Useful for copying and pasting track listings from iTunes!)
- js-based regex toy; apply a regular expression to a series of lines
- Shows you where the differences start and end for two lines of text. Might be useful for comparing computer "PATH"s or other long lines.
- take tab delimited data shove into html tables...
- Take text that has been "force wordwrapped" (usually for 80 colunns) and makes it ready for new word-wrapping, preserving paragraphs and what not.
- sort of
- A simple sorting tool, returns the lines you enter in alphabetically sorted order. I'll add in new features and options as they occur to me, requests welcome.
- sortof (tabular)
- breaks lines on whitespace, assumes top row is headers, and that rows have more than one whitespace character between
- Strips out empty lines from plain text. (The opposite of whitespace...har!)
- The basic HTML-character escaping almost any web coder has written about 1,000 times...
- Web interface to a very, very primitive "grep" like function.
- time toy
- Calculate the time difference between two dates, or find the date that is N days (or hours or minutes etc) from a given start date, or just get a list of upcoming "superdays".
(Here is my orginal version from 2001)
- day of the week /
- Show the day of the week for any given date.
- range of dates
- Clunky jsfiddle starting with a date, and showing a series of incremented days after
- *nix timestamp converter
- (Scroll beaneath the cartoons.) Every once in a while I need a quick way to convert
a "Unix Time Stamp" (seconds since Jan 1 1970) into something I can understand.
- simple countdown timer
Count down to 00:00:00. You can pass in simple RGB colors for the background and foreground for the start and once it hits zero, e.g.
this link. See my devblog for more info.
- customizable pt reps vocalizer
- browsers can speak these days, and this page is good at letting you set up exercise routines that rely on timing.
- A trivial timer and notepad to help standup teams not get lost in he weeds.
- youtube + vimeo resizer
- Modify youtube and vimeo embed code to whatever width you want.
- A primitive grade-one braille translation tool, converting plain braille characters to text.
- Simple tool that takes an annotated flickr page and turns the notes into an ordinary HTML imagemap.
- Display all images (or any content) linked to from a given URL in one page.
- On a SQL logging tool I was using for work, I could see prepared statements and their parameters, but on separate lines. This brings them together!
- Often time photo frames are different proportions and ratios then digitial photos. This lets you find out how to crop a photo so it fits another ratio.
Another great tool is this Dan Hersam's Smart Quotes Remover
(not hosted here)