June 1, 2011
Ran into some new music in Europe, including this "Eurovision" winning track.
Volker and Veronika mentioned this entry was kind of promoted by Stefan Raab... that's the same guy who did that odd "wire mesh fence" song I kisrael'd a while back. He thought Germany needed a better showing in the contest, and I guess it worked! This year he promoted a song by the same artist, which led to him doing a rockabilly version of the same song live (since Lena won but couldn't perform to start the next year's show...)
Now I have 4 songs titled "Satellite"...this, Elvis Costello's, Smash Mouth's, and Dave Matthews'.
When you land, you have to wait for your soul to catch up.
--Kinda like how you get to see the "sell" the other wrestlers do to show this kid's amazing luchadore-ish power... via
June 2, 2011
In retrospect, one thing I really dig about London: that many of the billboards on Tube stations are for books. I'm reading "The Pregnant Widow" by Martin Amis now, wot I saw on the tube.
June 3, 2011
--I had no idea bullfrogs could make a noise like that until the other day an Intern at work pulled up one of these videos. Crazy, so human!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3JCESdFNyw You know, the farce of contemporary art is that cyriak wasn't in any gallery I saw in Europe. (Still wish http://b3ta.com had an archive of their front page entries.)
Rule number one: the most important thing about you is your date of birth. Which puts you inside history. Rule number two: sooner or later, each human life is a tragedy, sometimes sooner, always later.
Pistol Packin' Mona
June 4, 2011
I loved Boingboing's response:
Man. And you know, it's not just the ignorance, it's the ignorance warped by political agenda.
Vehicles Built and Driven by Animals. Nature is amazing.
Another quarter gone by, another 40-odd songs discovered, or rediscovered...
June 5, 2011
FWIW, I slightly modified how I listen to this music. For a long while I've been building resetting my seasonal playlist at the start of each season. But that led to songs added late in the season not getting as much play, which in turn led to stuff like me holding off on downloading a song 'til the beginning of the next quarter, which kind of missed the point of an ongoing "new music in my life" playlist. So, now I mostly listen to a rolling playlist of the last 25 songs added. I also added a "last 25 songs, 4 stars or higher", which makes my the ranking a little more meaningful...
One five star track last season:
- If You Kiss Jesus - Robin Skouteris. The "My Little Pony" video put to this mashup was played at a Pax East panel on "Playing to Win" (For no particularly good reason, except it rocks.)
- Something Bigger, Something Better - Amanda Blank, used on some youtube video or other. Love the line "my ladies who got their own cash / know how to swing they hips fast"
- Make Some Noise - The Beastie Boys. I'm on their email list. "here we go again / give you more, nothin' less-a / back on the mic is the anti-depress-a"
- S&M - Rihanna. Amber digs this tune - there should be more videos this playfully sexy. "I may be bad / but I'm perfectly good / at it" ... "sticks and stones may break my bones but chains and wips excite me"
- King Creole (Viva Elvis) - Elvis Presley. Played during the final days of the Copley Square Borders (sigh) "He lay downs a beat / like a ton of coal"
- Wild Wild West (Album Version With Intro) - Will Smith. Amazingly catchy song-- Will Smith's delivery is so much fun.
- Satellite (Live 1. Runde) - Lena Meyer-Landrut. Like I posted a few days ago, Veronika and Volker introduced me to this Eurovision winner... "i bought new underwear they're blue / and i wore them just the other day"
- Star Lake Pep Song - Star Lake Camp. I kisrael'd about this. One of a small collection of MP3s where I'm listening to myself.
- That's Some Dream - Good Old War. Heard this at the Copley Square CVS.
- Roam - The B-52's. Old favorite from college a capella days. Love the line "hip to hip, rocking through the wilderness."
- SOS - Rihanna. On one of Amber's play lists, dig the Tainted Love samples
- Immigraniada (We Comin' Rougher) - Gogol Bordello. Boingboing debuted this song -- it's the story of legal immigrants who are still given the short shift in this land.
- Just A Little Lovin' (GB Remix) - Carmen McRae. Heard this on that racy (if heteronormative) Sealy's Mattress Ad. So sweet.
- Blow, Gabriel, Blow - Ethel Merman. (The version I have is higher energy) Might remember this from my mom's musical days...
- Harvey & Sheila (LP Version) - Allan Sherman. This was on a Dr. Demento a family friend (Captain Shenk I think) made for my dad when he was sick.
- You Can't Hurry Love - The Supremes. Classic!
- Here I Come - Fergie. Fun.
- Spirit In The Sky - Norman Greenbaum. I think I heard a radio piece on how many movies use this song, it didn't make Greenbaum rich but he was able to retire.
- Take Me Home - Holly Cole - beautiful retelling of a Tom Waits classic... I've had this for a while, but it was a bad MP3 rip.
- Beatles VS James Brown We Can Work - found this while researching my last musical roundup.
- Mad Men Theme With a Twist - Found this interesting mashup of Mad Men and "Nature Boy".
- Step On My Trip - Dub_Fx. I think I put the live version of this here before; the studio version loses something with the polish, but still good.
- Move - H-Blockx. Found when digging up their version of Snap's "The Power". High energy 90s silliness.
- White Rabbit - Emiliana Torrini. The soundtrack to "Sucker Punch" had some intriguing covers.
- I Want It All / We Will Rock You Mash-Up - Queen+Armegeddon. From the same movie.
- Do The Mario (clean Version) - Hiimrawn & Hi Im Rawn Producer. BoingBoing linked to one of the related videos.
- One More Minute - Weird Al Yankovic. A memory from my even more geek youth...
- Feelin' Alright - Joe Cocker. Heard at Whole Foods.
- Yo Marco El Minuto - Mala Rodriguez. There's a sexy bit of strip tease to this in the movie "Sex and Lucia"
- Give me the seventies - Jean. Fun "Sex and Lucia". Then the guy does a more playful dance to this song in the same move...
- Express Yourself (Album Version) - Charles Wright & The Watts 103rd. Street Rhythm Band. Now seen in a coffeemate commercial.
- E.T. (feat. Kanye West) - Katy Perry. Recommended by my buddy JZ. (No not that JZ)
- Just Canít Get Enough - Black Eyed Peas. Ditto.
- Sesames Treet (Vocal Mix) - Smart Es. Had this one for a long while, finally looked up the artist to get a legit copy.
- Peppyrock - BTK. I remembered writing down this title in the 90s, forgeting about it, looking it up, realizing it was a song and video, forgetting about it, then remembering it again for no good reason. Catchy song.
- Saturday Night Live Star Wars - Bill Murray. This one I've known about for years.
- Runaway - Del Shannon. Coworker Jon, with leaky headphones, was listening to this. Plus I think it was on one of those old McD's "Shake Burger and Fries" mix tapes I had growing up.
- One Of Us - Joan Osborne. One of those 90s songs. Mighta heard it again in a CVS.
- Ass-n-Titties - DJ Assault. This horrendous little ditty was stuck in the head of Felis Demens a long while back
- Insane In The Brain (Explicit Album Version) - Cypress Hill. Reminded by the movie "Havoc"
- Crazy Vibes - Selah Sue. Heard this in a grocery store in Paris.
- Wonderman (Feat. Ellie Goulding) - Tinie Tempah. They were playing this at the H+M on the Champs d'Elyesee
- Still D.R.E. - Dr. Dre. Ditto.
- Where do I begin (Away Team mix) - Shirley Bassey. I think the cabaret Lido might have been playing this.
- 7 Years and 50 Days (Radio Edit) - Groove Coverage. I don't think Lido was playing a different song by the same folk. Europop fun!
June 6, 2011
--via BB on aweseome RC plane flights. I guess the legality is kinda questionable, but man, what a view!
We laugh at death because we know death will have the last laugh on us.
did they just say you can now use the volume buttons to snap iPhone photos? All that fuss! ..wonder if photo gallery gets folder management?
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO ICLOUD. ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO ICLOUD. ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO ICLOUD.
From Apple keynote:"App manages presentation of its own documents." Reminds me of the old Mac days:"the application program that created it could not be found". It seems like such an odd vision of the future, all these islands of piles of files, each app using whatever metadata it sees fit. if the existing iPhone camera roll is any indication, "no sorting" is it.
I'd say Apple vs Microsoft is done. Next: Apple vs the Web (and then Apple vs Owning Files?) I'm worried about the rise of monoculture.
@dianebrat I liked trusting gmail et al w/ server data, but knowing i could control my own files. Apple seeks to blur the distinction...
So I'm taking up Miller's 30 Day Drawing Challenge: Superheroes... the first week is setting up the basic team, here's mine.
June 7, 2011
Open Photo Galleryday 1: big bruiser
day 2: technology hero
day 3: weapon-based hero
day 4: miniature hero
day 5: elemental-control hero
day 6: creature-themed hero
day 7: alien hero
Hate the device lock-in implied by iMessage. The goal is Apple's world, we just live in it. Hope it's the next "Ping".
Realize that I have two non-overlapping camps of followees tweeting keynotes: E3 games and Apple. Mixed feelings not being in former group.
Every time I copy and paste an HTML attribute in Eclipse, it hourglasses for about 20 seconds. Rage building.
Ain't no party like a Turing party, 'cause a Turing party may or may not stop.
June 8, 2011
via 22 words
June 9, 2011
--via 22 words, posted here for Amber because even though she doesn't like youtube videos she sometimes likes this kind of stuff... Makes you wonder if NYPD is just looking to get the revenue or what...
June 10, 2011
--via Bill the Splut. Love the soundtrack
Lodsys should have no problems with the "non-obviousness" of their patent-- in that it's 100% non-obvious that has f***-all to do with actual apps.
--This is the Gnarls Barkley song I was looking for today, after hearing the instrumental version in "X-Men: First-Class"
June 11, 2011
Just saw "X-Men: First Class" -- probably the best X-men flick. Anyone know the "go-go" music when they're recruiting Angel and the others?
Gnarls Barley Run - try googling a little harder silly!
June 12, 2011
--via BB. Amazing. Man I wish I could hulahoop.
The most daring thing to do with your life is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.
Sorry suckers. Being an adult isn't being a joyless bitch. Eat cupcakes, wear sneakers, read comics and FUCK THE WORLD. RT THAT
If you watch NASA backwards, it's about a space agency that has no spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on moon.
Kirk and Amber, sittin' in Paree--
b-r-u-s-h-ing their teeth!
June 13, 2011
via Bill the Splut
aw big ol sneeze all over my computer screen WELL AT LEAST THE COLORS ARE PRETTY
If 90% of everything is crap, it's not the same 90% for everyone! We need more EVERYTHING!
The razor-toothed piranhas of the genera Serrasalmus and Pygocentrus are the most ferocious freshwater fish in the world. In reality they seldom attack a human.
Another week's worth of my entries in Miller's 30 Day Drawing Challenge:Superheroes. (Not too late to join in!)
June 14, 2011
Open Photo Gallery
day 8: civilian identity: jake 2 as "traffic eye 1"
day 9: pistol packin' mona victorious
day 10: alien bill getting somewhere fast
day 11: the red crumb cowering in fear
day 12: luggo busting through a wall
day 13: hungrier hippo doing some heavy lifting
day 14: wind-x's opposite gender version: her-icane
Power corrupts: this is not a metaphor. And writers were instantly corrupted by the mad power of choice.
The muscular little charcoal birds, thirteen of them, were working, climbing, far above the mountaintops. Nearer the ground, the yellow canarini (they were actually much bigger than canaries) gave a sudden unanimous cackle. They weren't laughing at him, he realised, or not at him in particular. They were laughing at human beings. What was it about us that they found so funny?
We're birds! they were saying. And we fly! All day we do what you do in your dreams. We fly!
If you don't have time to drink 8 glasses of water a day, at least leave your mouth open during rain storms.
Is it Penny Arcade's mention of "El Shaddai" or the "lord of lords" idea leading to Duke Nuke'em "Hail to the King" ads on the Amy Grant song video?
Margaritas taste a whole lot better when you're not pregnant.
June 15, 2011
Internet Explorer is the most chav of all the browsers.
Kindness now interests me more than intelligence. Knowledge and cleverness have their allure. But a supple heart is worth far more than a quick and educated mind.
http://factlets.info/Placebo - "Studies show placebos are twice as effective as they were 25 years ago."
Man, 28 Great Movies From the Perspective of Minor Characters really resonated with me...
Kids: God's little awkward moments machines.
Yeah, "Better Off Ted"'s Veridian Dynamics + Portia de Rossi really holds its own against Portal's Aperture Science and GLaDOS... now I really wanna see more of Andy Richter Controls the Universe.
CONGRATS BRUINS! (self-deprecating thought, all the Boston fans going, wait, what about the fourth quarter?) Yay Boston Sports!
Man, Chara is 6'9"?? When he picked up the Stanley Cup from that official guy it looked like an optical illusion.
June 16, 2011
--Now that's how to celebrate a riot... NPR has more info
I like to read [the Boston Metro] if other people are reading it, but I don't like to touch it.
June 17, 2011
The caption was "I drained 3s all day!"-- the site is Dear Photograph where people overlay an old photograph over the current scene.
I'm kind of sad about how relatively few options I have for this, in terms of places I've lived at least.
The idea reminds me of my old ghost of a snowman, though that was a product of a digital age.
http://www.boingboing.net/2011/06/17/vegas-earth-moving-t.html I think I found out what I want for Christmas...
Saying someone has too much time on his hands is another way of saying you think he doesn't watch enough TV. http://bit.ly/l7SVvn
PROTIP: ctrl-shift-del opens up history clearing dialog in the big 3 browsers. (Though IE might need restarting to REALLY clear, sigh.)
June 18, 2011
paintworms - - built with processing
June 19, 2011
learnworms - source - built with processing
via SpindleyQ: Thank you, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, for these lovely jokes http://t.co/KRpse5K
FWIW, digging the "QVS" stylus for iPad... like $8 at Microcenter (at the impulse item section)- has a clip and great smooth round end.
Coworker sent this one around... one of the most amazing "looks like it's moving but it's not" I've ever seen. (I also like the Madelbrot Set shout out) Click it for the full size version, around 4 times as large and a lot more effective.
June 20, 2011
June 21, 2011
In retrospect the Atari Program Exchange (APX) seems like the best thing ever, wish I was old enough to have ordered stuff from it.
Rust, fire and explosions are the same process, taking place at different rates.
15. William Faulkner on Ernest Hemingway
"He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary."
14. Ernest Hemingway on William Faulkner
"Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?"
Mixed feelings on the Solstice... a little sad to know it's all downdark from here.
No one earns $100 million. You steal $100 million.
You're too young to remember this, but to someone my age, it was shocking that Ronald Reagan would be the president of the United States. Why not Dana Andrews, who was a better actor? Ronald Reagan was the president of the United States. Anything that follows that is understandable.
Making the rounds yesterday... what is allegedly the bartab of the Boston Bruins, including a $100K giant magnum of champagne...
June 22, 2011
Now that, boys and girls, is an epic bar tab.
Tyche [chance] is as relentless a mistress as Ananke [necessity]
You know you're in trouble when even the main villain in your story is complaining about the plot and wishing he were a character in a more interesting book.
Reassuring AND discouraging when googling up some development how-to and seeing a bunch of links colored "already seen" from way back when.
Another week's worth of my entries in Miller's 30 Day Drawing Challenge:Superheroes.
June 23, 2011
Open Photo Gallery
day 15: arguing: alien bill vs hungrier hippo
day 16: pistol packin' mona fighting wind-x
day 17: whole team taking on aBOMBinable snowman
day 18: red crumb giving luggo a hot foot
day 19: jake 2 and luggo competing, playing chess
day 20: jake 2 injured, hungrier hippo protecting
day 21: 'traffic eye 1' and 'mona alyssa' about to jump in the fray
I think Iron Munro is one of the sweetest ideas ever, especially in terms of the connection with the novel "Gladiator"- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Munro
June 24, 2011
I think this is from "Hornung's Handbook of Designs & Devices" , via a cool (if long) history of the fallout shelter sign.
Things learned yesterday: svn/tortoise has an "export" feature that's the best way of copying a dir tree sans all those little svn files.
June 25, 2011
Today we went up to New Hampshire for a belated Father's Day thing for Amber's folks. We went to Polly's Pancake Parlor.
June 26, 2011
Open Photo Gallery
While we were waiting Amber rode their signature red horse.
Later we took the tram up cannon mountain. Unfortunately it was a rather foggy day...
It was pretty in an abstract and mysterious kind of way though:
And there was some nice nature...
Though I think my current Canon doesn't have as good a macro zoom as my previous ones (much harder to focus I like how this came out.
June 27, 2011
Maybe I could foster more equanimity and tranquility about the frustrations of MBTA if I saw it as a force of nature, like the weather, not as a product of human incompetence.
*Coconut* Twix?? What does that even MEAN???
June 28, 2011
--via (or something like it) 22words
http://www.slate.com/slideshow/arts/is-this-a-gay-bar/ Trends in Gay Bar names...
June 29, 2011
http://www.slate.com/id/2297924/ - subversive headline vs sub-headline: "BUSH V. GORE / Is it worse for a child to see pornography or graphic violence?"
June 30, 2011
--thoughts on hair spray, slowed down... via 22 words
Neatening up the edge of my beard I may have gone a smidge too far. Now I'm worried that cheek is a tad more amish than the other.